4 leaky mags, why now?

Jimmypie

Ive just been down to my workshop where i keep all my pistols etc...,

i gas up my new prokiller ,fine, kwa uspc ,fine,

then i pick up my infinity mags and try to fill and it just ###### out of the bottom

on both mags!! :( , so i think ok there a bit cold, ill put em in my pocket and

move on to the HI capa, same damn thing pissing out the base on both of them too :angry: !

Ive never had this problem before on more than 1 mag at a time ,can anyone explain

whats going on.

ive now brought all said mags into the house to try and warm them up.

please help!

sorry forgot to add im using 134a ,so its not like im really stressing these guns or any thing,

i always leave a tiny bit in as well.

i think this might just be a case of cold/hard seals in the mags. bringing them in is a good idea, also lube them up.

sometimes with my TM DE mags, i go to gas them after not using them for a while, and they leak. but after letting the gas leak out under its own pressure, and refilling again, the leak seems to stop and all is good.

its like the leaking gas re-sets the valve and seals. i dunno.weird.

This isnt from the valve though ,on the WA mags its from around the bottom plate,

and on the TM mags its coming out between the join bit thingy at the base , pretty much

the same thing in principle on both sets.

Also my workshop is kept at a constant 7-10 degrees C all year round.

Sounds exactly right.

They always seem to go in the winter months (I keep mine in a cold place, too, probably not a great idea) - 7-10 is my idea of winter :o

The good news is WA mags are a doddle to fix - Either revitalise (Power Assisted Steering fluid is good) or replace the seals (Elite might have some seals - they don't cost much) and you're good to go!

Cheers.

The good news is WA mags are a doddle to fix - Either revitalise (Power Assisted Steering fluid is good) or replace the seals (Elite might have some seals - they don't cost much) and you're good to go!

My WA mags frequently start to leak if not used (even if stored with some gas). Most of the time it's enough to put the gas in them - it softens the seals and pushes them into all right places. A mag or two would leak out, slower and slower, but then it just stops.

When this doesn't help, I've used to disassemble the mag and take the seal out to oil it thoroughly, but it was too intrusive, I've decided to save wear&tear on the parts. Now I empty the mag and screw out the bottom valve. I put a bit of oil directly into the mag, close it and keep it vertically for some time so the oil has a chance to work on the seal. I pressurize it then, and after some time leak stops.

Beware - the gun will spit oil instead of BBs for quite some time, making a dripping mess of your gun, so I wouldn't use the procedure unless just filling with gas doesn't help.

If you have even more leaky mag, try replacing the seal. If you do not have a spare one, you may try to take apart the mag, take out the seal, put a bit of thin isolation tape around the groove where the bottom seal goes and put seal over the groove. This makes the joint "thicker" and should stop the leaks more radically. The tape has to be very soft and able to adapt to the shape of groove, just like the electric isolation tape.

With TM DE mag I had a leak once, after over a month in storage during winter. It was the valve seals. Oiling/pressurizing solved this problem.

Hope this helps.

They rarely reseal on their own once they leak.

Look at the diagram on WA's website (www.wa-gunnet.com) for your gun and you'll see how the mag is assembled - Basically you need to drift out a pin or two and the base will drop out with the seal on it.

It is an O-ring (but a square/rectangular one, rather than circular, so standard ones won't do) - I guess in theory you could use sealant/instant gasket material of some sort, like you get for cars (never tried though).

He definitely means silicon lube, OIL will kill the seals and probably the rest in your gun if you use that.

One of the issues of Airsoft International has a 'how to repair gas mags' guide - No 2, I think...

by the way i met a mutual friend yesterday ,garry [top bloke!]

Indeed he is :)

Cheers.

He definitely means silicon lube, OIL will kill the seals and probably the rest in your gun if you use that.

Yes - I meant the silicon lube that is used in Airsoft. "Oil" was a direct translation from my language where it is called "silicon oil" rather than "lube". Thanks for catching that.

Archived