Calc Bomb

visionviper

Eh.

Back in my charter school days I wrote a cheeky little ASM app that emulated the memory clear process on a TI-83. Charter required everyone to have a graphing calculator and everyone had 83's at the time... Since everyone had one there was an abundance of... less than productive software (coughtetriscough) among other things floating around and the teachers wouldn't tolerate it.

It got to the point that if a teacher checked your calculator and it had ANY programs on it they'd clear the memory on the spot. I actually kept acedemic stuff in mine (I wrote a program to figure out resistor values for you, and fiddle with ohm's law, among others) and I was getting mighty ticked at having to rewrite or reupload my programs once a day.

So I wrote the thing that pretended to clear the memory, complete with key traps and displaying all the right screens.

Then I bought a Casio CFX color and never looked back. In addition to being vastly superior, hardware wise and mathematically, nobody but me knew how to operate the thing because of the TI monopoly.

ASM is a bugger to program on the Casios, but I did write the first version of Gen in the included basic language, and a primitive dueling tanks sort of thing.

Ah, nostalgia.

Stupid nostalgia.

Wot?

Last I checked I didn't count as 'everyone'. Unless you were just commenting in general. Graphing calculators are nifty. Especially modern programmable ones. They're a staple of geeky life, just like fast video cards and laser pointers. Get with the program, man.

But towards that end, graphing calculators have been sort of the antithesis of Moore's law. The TI-83 has reigned king even though its base functionality and power have remained unchanged for nearly a decade, now. The only reason the TI-83 is king of the hill is because TI spends so much time and energy mercilessly marketing it, and it's the only calculator for which examples are given in most math textbooks by major publishers.

It's sort of a pet peeve of mine, sorry. The only reason people use them is because the math books tell them what buttons to press, and nobody uses anything else because they refuse to learn how.

I'm not a big fan of TI or their model 83 calculators. Even the new zooty silver ones with the flip up screen protectors. Their layout and interface is horrid, their screen resolution has been surpassed by every other manufacturer in the world, the machine itself is dog slow, and the battery life sucks compared to most other models.

I have a Casio CFX that I learned inside and out, but I'm a nerd and that's what I do. I still have it, but I use a PocketPC for all of that stuff now.

Luckily all of my school years are behind me now.

Ho hum.

Archived