NAVY SEALS mixing camo types?

Dickens

Right i was playing on my PS2 the other night and started playing SOCOM NAVY SEALS 2 and played the first level. I noticed however that the SEALS mixed there camo (US woodland shirt and US Desert Tri colour trousers) and i was just wondering if this actually takes place in real life.

BTW i dont trust everything computer games throw at me, i was just wondering because it looks pretty cool even though it looks strange.

Thanks

They did this alot in Vietnam. ERDL w/ jeans, full ERDL, ERDL and OD, etc.

The SEALs are known to go around in strange combinations of gear, so I don't think it's totally unheard of even today.

Thanks for the info Carbine. Its just that im thinking about doing it, it looks kinda cool lol

Thanks for the info Carbine. Its just that im thinking about doing it, it looks kinda cool lol

Not sure if it's common practice, but I can tell you that it works nice in Fall in the Norteastern US, Because most of the foliage on the deck is dead and more dessert camo colors but trees and bushes still have green, When down crouched it added a level of camo that would not have been if I were to have been in all desserts or all Woodlands. And I got the idea from SOCOM II, thought it was intresting. And you know what I am going to have to ask my buddy that one.

Not sure if it's common practice, but I can tell you that it works nice in Fall in the Norteastern US, Because most of the foliage on the deck is dead and more dessert camo colors but trees and bushes still have green, When down crouched it added a level of camo that would not have been if I were to have been in all desserts or all Woodlands. And I got the idea from SOCOM II, thought it was intresting. And you know what I am going to have to ask my buddy that one.

Please do ask him because i really wanna give this look a go lol and what you said about wearing it in fall, well yeah that makes most sence because the first level were they wear the mixed camo is set in fall. All the dead foliage go's well with the Desert Tri colour and the bushes and trees with green in them go well with the woodland.

Thanks navymp28.

SEALs that were deployed in Beruit in the early '80s often wore German Flektarn, woodland, desert, and a host of other patterns while on ops.

That's according to Navy SEALS with Sheen and Co. :P

AFAIK there's nothing in the regs against using it. Not being a SEAL, or even USN for that matter, I have no personal experience (and I think you'll get a lot of answers from people with no real experience here).

I do know that a colleague of my father (who WAS a SEAL) related an anecdotal story about his time in the Gulf. They were doing oil rig sweeps and were wearing a mix of US and foreign camo, and were told to remove the foreign camouflage (reason unspecified).

That's according to Navy SEALS written by the same guy who wrote the book Warrior Soul, in which he describes doing exactly what Easy Company said  :P 

Fixed!

Chuck Pfarrer

Warrior Soul

To be honest though, I don't think the dress code regulations were as strict as they could have been in Beirut. For an impression, the most logical reason behind having a different pattern top and bottom would be that the top portion might be a cold weather or gore-tex jacket.

I hope that helps a bit.

Fixed! 

Chuck Pfarrer 

Warrior Soul 

To be honest though, I don't think the dress code regulations were as strict as they could have been in Beirut. For an impression, the most logical reason behind having a different pattern top and bottom would be that the top portion might be a cold weather or gore-tex jacket. 

I hope that helps a bit.

I know this is not the best source for reff...lol...but if you remember that not so great and old as *beep* movie from the 80's NAVY SEALS, the end of the film when the were in Beruit they had a mix of different nation cammo and the what not, they did this for whatever reason...but this is not from an source but is more of a personal observation. I would think camo mixing from different shades and nationalities would be for an "Irregular look" to seem less like a highly trained unit and like a rag tag bunch of rebels / guerillas. Just my opinion.

Fixed! 

Chuck Pfarrer 

Warrior Soul 

I hope that helps a bit.

You sir, are correct. I just finished that book a few weeks ago.

Sorry for the OT:

He is a Hollywood guy, but after reading the book, all I could think of was that Chuck must have been really ###### when the movie came out...

Great Book

Crappy Movie :(

Doesn't that suck? Even "Apocolypse Now" had some things that were wrong, but I think one of the best Vietnam-based movies that doesn't get much credit is "Hamburger Hill".

Oh, I know why they did it in the movie. Sadly, I own the movie...

From a logical perspective, it makes a LOT of sense to mix camouflage patterns. Think about it:

Your eye works in a funny way. When you see a person, chances are you see the torso first, especially in a dark shirt. BUT, go to the woods in a dark camo outfit, and you see the outline and then details.

Try adding lighter pants, irregardless of terrain - the outline is broken up, and things look very... unusual, so you don't hanker to it immediately. Having seen it in the 'field' of airsoft, it's VERY effective.

I don`t know about the US Navy SEALs but the SAS, SBS, Royal Marines or whatever British military organization did it (it was British alright couldn`t mistake the DMP)... (there are some pictures that prove it.) As of the SEALs, saw a pretty famous picture of one wearing a black balacalva, tri-color desert pants, and black SPEARS sweater with a painted M4... afghanistan of course.

No its not official yet, im still looking round but i still cant find anything. BTW SOCOM 2 is still an ace game lol

I haven't had a chance to as my buddy yet, but I saw some pictures in a magazine sitting around my studio from 2002 of British toops in Afghanistan with the Woodland Tops and Dessert bottoms, but I think that was a lack of matching uniforms. And I sw it on some 2004 USMC Pics but that was Gortex Jackets.

I haven't had a chance to as my buddy yet, but I saw some pictures in a magazine sitting around my studio from 2002 of British toops in Afghanistan with the Woodland Tops and Dessert bottoms, but I think that was a lack of matching uniforms. And I sw it on some 2004 USMC Pics but that was Gortex Jackets.

British Royal Marines in Afghanistan... and US Marine doing peace keeping in Haiti or was it DR... but no SEALs yet... Seen a SPEARs sweater and balacalava but that`s it

I have a magazine only about special forces in afganisthan, and there are a lot of pictures of SEALs wearing desert tri pants with black SPEARS jackets as said, or woodland jackets, and several pics of SAS wearing the same sort of gear.

I guess PlasticMag is right about the use, but over here it is quite ineffective... (I tried once, it looked cool but our forest are too dense and dark)

I have a magazine only about special forces in afganisthan, and there are a lot of pictures of SEALs wearing desert tri pants with black SPEARS jackets as said, or woodland jackets, and several pics of SAS wearing the same sort of gear.

I guess PlasticMag is right about the use, but over here it is quite ineffective... (I tried once, it looked cool but our forest are too dense and dark)

I talked to my Seal buddy at work and he told me that yeah the Seal teams do mix camo types in the field, Apparently they do that alot in the desert at night and for different missions and AO's. He also impareted that a good "TEAM" impression they would not all be matching like most Marine units and Army. So similiar but different works great for realism.

Archived