Screen grabs/ shots

Vicks

Howdy folks,

Just need a bit of help with taking screen shots/grabs (printscreen as ctrl+i doesn't seem to work, or i can't find where it's putting the pictures) in windows media player (not sure version but one that comes with windows pro home ed).

Now to the problem, i use print screen, paste into paint and save but then as soon as i close the windows player the image just appears as a black blob......

I've searched google, and try a few of the pages suggestions but still isn't working correctly......

Btw I'm trying to grab from a DVD if this makes a difference.

Also if you don't know how to fix can anyone suggest a free dvd media player that have inbuilt screen shot/grab function??

Thanks for any help :)

Right, I've got Windoze 98 and it actually has 2 media players. This hidden media player will do screen grabs, but only from AVI's and Mpegs. To find this program, look in the Windows folder and look for the MPlayer program. Simply open the video file you want, pause the video at the frame you want, hit the Edit Tab and then hit Copy Object. Open the Windows Paint program and paste the image. OK, the picture will be a bitmap, but it's better than a kick up the butt. For DVD grabs, I use a program called Power DVD. It can be found as a free download from the Interweb.

You're probably trying to snapshot something that just comes out as a black square (and possibly shows whatever's playing in Media Player)? I can't remember what DVDs use to render on Windows (depends on the codecs I think) but it's not always easy to snapshot them unless you're using something like PowerDVD or Windows Media Player Classic.. the latter is free and works pretty well..

Someone more tecchie than me may be able to give you more help but I'd say Windows Media Player Classic is worth a shot..

To grab a screenshot from WMP, you need to go to the Options, go to the Performance tab and slide 'Video Acceleration' down to none. Then try it.

Or you could download VideoLan (which is free) and use the Snapshot feature on that, if you plan to do it a lot.

Hmm yea found a website suggesting the "video acceleration" fix, but still seems to have the same problem....

got power dvd but dvd i have doesn't seem to play on it, maybe cause it's region 1 (doubt it) but ill try the other copy of the film (yes i have the same movie twice :) )

thanks for the help so far, anymore is welcomed.

Edit: Ok i got it working on powerdvd, but where the hell does it put the screen caps when you have it set up to save to file?

Well you did say

"Also if you don't know how to fix can anyone suggest a free dvd media player that have inbuilt screen shot/grab function??"

And VideoLan is what I use. I watch my DVD's on that, and it's pretty nice for a freebie :)

Ahhh don't worry about the edit on above post (won't let me edit again), found the pics :) worked perfectly, and ill check out videolan as i need some pics from the deleted scenes on the region 1 dvd (one that didn't work).

thanks all, guess that wraps up this thread

Archived