Army Times Airsoft Article

usmc0621fro

Wow Tippmann discovered Airsoft. They sounded like they are the first to bring this exotic sport to the western hemisphere. In real they are just a company that missed the train by at least 10 years. Pathetic.

Paintball or Pain-Ball is inferior to all but 1 aspect of Airsoft. It is the detection of hit which is better in PB. The first company, who invents cheap and reliable way for hit detection will rule the market.

Wow Tippmann discovered Airsoft. They sounded like they are the first to bring this exotic sport to the western hemisphere. In real they are just a company that missed the train by at least 10 years. Pathetic.

I agree entirely, but that's marketing for you. I suspect that Tippman is interested in basically starting from scratch with airsoft, that's why they've made zero effort to contact existing teams or organizations that I know of. Someone in charge of Tippman's marketing department has made the decision that we're not worth their effort.

Paintball or Pain-Ball is inferior to all but 1 aspect of Airsoft. It is the detection of hit which is better in PB. The first company, who invents cheap and reliable way for hit detection will rule the market.

Quoted for truth. I agree entirely.

I still don't see how Tippmann will "corrupt" airsoft.

Paintball is very different from airsoft. There is not limits on the guns; you want your gun to fire .68 calibers paintballs at the fastest RoF in semi at 300fps, and cost doesn't matter. It is this strive for the best gun that corrupted the attitude of paintballers that possessed them, which then spread to players who wanted to be like them.

In airsoft, the guns are very different. Every AEG can fire 800+rpm and full-auto is allowed. There is a threshold for upgrading your gun to compete with everyone else's; the rest is just gear and accessories. For, example, a CA M14A4 upgraded to 328fps will shoot just the same as the CA CQBR with a Surefire, TangoDown Grip, Crane Stock, and ACOG upgraded to 328fps. AEG technology has simplified itself into two standard gearboxes, which all the manufacturers use, which results in competition, which lowers prices.

For those of you who don't understand this, here's an example. Let's say Tippmann comes out with a new electropneumatic airsoft gun that fires 1200rpm and runs off an external tank. Will anyone buy it? No, because more expensive technology is being used to do something a simple AEG gearbox is capable of. Why pay more for the same output? Plus, it might not look realistic.

Here's another less dramatic example. Let's say Tippmann comes out with a quality AEG with trades. Would anyone buy it? No, again due to price. "Made In America" also comes with a significantly higher price tag; why buy it when you can get the same quality for less with another manufacturer?

I think that those who fear Tippmann will corrupt airsoft by simply distributing airsoft guns is paranoid and too busy thinking about himself. From what I hear in here, every new person who picks up an AEG will bring it to school and get shot.

Let's think about this logically:

-The path of a typical paintabller - A lot of people in paintball started with a Brass Eagle pump, the equivalent of a low-end springer in airsoft, or other low-end gun on an impulse buy at WalMart. They shoot targets or play with friends with similar guns in fields, woods, or under bridges. They hop online or into their local paintbal store and see a whole new level of play - electric guns. So, they save for a while, purchase a gun, and move on to playing on a paintball field instead of their backyard. Voila, an "informed" paintballer is born.

This won't be too much different from airsoft if introduced. How many of you started with a springer and played with friends in your backyard, then moved up? If someone sees both a springer pistol and an AK47 AEG at WalMart, their parent probably won't let them buy the AEG first. This allows them to see that airsoft isn't that bad, which may soon lead to an AEG purchase later. As they read into it, they may get caught up into geardoism. By this time, you have a well-informed airsofter, just like you and me.

Archived