SiN Episodes: Emergence

HaVoC

This has nearly finished downloading now, through Steam. I've been looking forward to it for some time - the possible beginnings of true episodic gaming. For $20 for about 4-6 hours, it's not too bad a deal, and if it's good, you can always buy the other episodes as they're released.

But I'm getting more excited by the minute here. Could this be the next true Duke Nukem (excluding Forever, obviously, because that's clearly a hoax... :rolleyes: )?

PC Gamer certainly seem to like it (85%), and it sounds just right for some throwaway bangs combined with some good ol' TnA:

Just as if the clapperboard went down on a Bruckheimer death-bonanza and the special effects guy didn't know how to stop the squibs and firecrackers going off.

There's a broad vocabulary of bang here, and you're at the very top of the spelling bee.

SiN's lack of taste is just part of its charm.

Basically, explosions and guns. And tits.

So, err, anyone else getting equally excited?

Indeed they are, reminds me a bit of that Trespasser game (where you shot dinosaurs or something) where to check your health you looked down and (you played a woman i'm guessing) you have a tatoo on the breast in the shape of a heart and it would go down as you got hurt.

Rubbish game, but that part made it worth playing.

I'm almost finished playing through this now and it's getting on my nadgers. About halfway through ritual introduce some much tougher enemies with absolutely no learning curve or giving you anything to deal with them. Then they chuck armies of the buggers at you.

Other than that, great fun.

Oh, and norks.

I'm playing this in little hour-long chunks. Any more and it gets dull.

That's no bad thing - it's ludicrous fun and stupidly gratuitous in every possible way, but if you play it for too long, it drags (like Quake 4).

Being able to explode heads with the PISTOL is fantastic, though. If you're a crack shot, you can do some real damage with the first weapon you get.

The shotgun is brilliant, too. About the best in any game, I say, and that includes the original Doom. I've been waiting for this!

I'm loving all the self-referential p*ss-takes about crates and falling objects, too. This one 'made me lol' most, though...

gallery_8_627_16315.jpg

Archived