Gor-Ten or NO?

Kingmob3

I have been looking at a new pair of boots(Lowa's) however have hit a bump in ordering them: Gor-Tex or not? Its a great material, however Ive goten a pair of good Gor-Tex boots wet above the top and they turned into buckets. The version I am looking at has a full leather upper. Any reccomendations on geting Gor-Tex or not?

thanks

KM3

Any boot, goretex or not, waterproof or not, will "flood" if your foot is in water above the boot level...

I wold say get the Goretex liner if you can afford it. It would do no harm and is only more "insurance" against wet feet.

JCYC5 pretty much said it all really. Buy the best you can afford, I happen to think goretex lined boots aren't much better than non-goretex, but that's just my experience. Goretex won't particularly help an all ready soaking boot dry quicker. Use newspaper or dampire for that.

Pretty much says it all really. Buy the best you can afford, I happen to think goretex lined boots aren't much better than non-goretex, but that's just my experience. Goretex won't particularly help an all ready soaking boot dry quicker. Use newspaper or dampire for that.

They aren't if you polish your boots properly.

I've been taught to polish boots not only because it makes them look nicer (hooray inspection :S), but it makes the boot last longer, and waterproofs it to an extent. It won't hold up to standing in a swamp, but if you're roaming around in the field during/after a rain, it helps a lot. Gor-Tex is just a lot warmer, to me at least.

Anyways, this is why you pack extra socks

I can't say whether the gore-tex actually helps, because the Lowa's aren't available without it, but I have a pair of their combat boots, and find them fantastic. I also use them as walking boots, and they managed ten tors (walking 50 miles over 2 days, throughout marshland for a lot of it) just fine, and I didn't get a single blister either.

Highly recommended.

Graham

I think Diemaco's post is a bit misleading as blistering and keeping your feet warm is individual to the boot and neither is really affected by the presence or lack of Goretex, but I agree with him in recommending that you do go with something lined with Gortex.

Goretex works, and it works well. The waterproofing chemical does, however, wear off after a time (how long that is, I have no idea, but I haven't seen it in my service) but this can be fixed by retreating the Goretex-treated surface.

I think Diemaco's post is a bit misleading as blistering and keeping your feet warm is individual to the boot and neither is really affected by the presence or lack of Goretex, but I agree with him in recommending that you do go with something lined with Gortex.

Goretex works, and it works well. The waterproofing chemical does, however, wear off after a time (how long that is, I have no idea, but I haven't seen it in my service) but this can be fixed by retreating the Goretex-treated surface.

I have a pair of Goretex boots. They are great. However as you have seen above the boot line they will flood. This can only be prevented but making a tight seal between your leg and the boot. That is practically impossible. However i also have a pair or goretex socks that work great. They are still Great but will flood. I picked up a pair from Cabelas for under 30 bucks i think. Those may help you keep the cost down. They can get hot but they work well at kepping you feet dry.

Probably teaching you to suck eggs but. If you're spending a small fortune on a pair of boots remember to get some decent dubbin/reproofer like the various nikwax products, there are specific ones for gore-tex.

The best walking boots I've ever had are my Lowa mountains. They have out lasted & been more comfortable then my previous Salmon, Zambalan & Berghaus ones. I've only ever had minor pressure saws from very long days with to much kit in my bergen. Well worth the money.

I must say the only thing I've noticed with regard to goretex/non goretex is that they seem warmer, too warm at times. The chap in my local boot store just puts it down to personal preference & how you look after the boots (& your feet).

If you are really worried about water/muck getting in your boots you could get some "Yeti" type gaiters (more cash though). I find any type of gaiter a bit warm to be honest. I do carry goretex socks or boot liners but again I find them too warm to wear continually.

Mind you I once walked accross the nambian desert in a pair of brand new Hitec WP 900s and they were fine, turned red/brown though....

Archived