Importing real-steel parts

GigaScythe

to import them?

yes

to import them and definately absoultely positively have no risk whatsoever of getting a visit from powers that be (to make sure you arent buying them to fit on a real one)?

No - its perfectly legal for customs to raise any concerns with the police if they suspect an item might be being imported for ilegal uses Now in all honesty the chance of a visit over something like these is very very slim - but it does seem more common now than in the past So if you dont want the hassle of that sort of attention at all then dont import.

If you dont mind the chance of a visit but want to reduce the risk of it a bit, then have someone stateside buy them for you and repackage in plain wrapping, free from Stans Gun Emporium logos etc and with a covering note saying 'grips for Tokyo Marui colt 1911 style airsoft replica'

In any case you can legally buy the grips and import them even if you did get a visit, no one has any right to confiscate them etc

im pretty sure that the item falls along the lines of acessories, which include scopes, Illuminated optical sights, and all things to make you gun pretty.

i really dont think you will have much of a problem with that. Ive shipped grips to australia, the philippines, and japan.

just out of interest, and sorry if this is a little bit of hijacking, but has anyone got a link to the current Firearms Act? Saw this and it made me think. I know it used to be illegal to own a component part of a firearm without the proper licence, and just wondered what the current state of play was regarding other bits.

thanks

Matt

See i've allways found this funny in a way. For example people have had their houses raided over buying hogue grips (that's not the funny bit.)

I fail to see how customs recieve the parcel of hogue grips and think "this must be for a real gun." There must be some pretty tricked out race guns in beautiful condition in the criminal wolrd then :P

just out of interest, and sorry if this is a little bit of hijacking, but has anyone got a link to the current Firearms Act? Saw this and it made me think. I know it used to be illegal to own a component part of a firearm without the proper licence, and just wondered what the current state of play was regarding other bits.

I think the wording is that you can own original firearm components provided that they've never been part of a weapon, and they are non loadbearing parts. For example, take a deactivated AK47. To rip the handguard off it and mount it on an airsoft is illegal, because at one stage the AK was RS. To buy an upgrade AK handguard for an AK, or to buy a spare hand guard that's never been on a AK is fine. But if you wanted an AK bolt for example (sod knows why) to fit to an airsoft gun, then you couldn't buy it, even if it was never fitted to a RS, because it's a loadbearing component, integral to the firing mechanism. All this is my interpretation of what i've read,so may not be right. You should read up or ask around to be sure.

Technically, buying the grips is fine, but the police may assume that you're buying it for a real gun. So forewarning is best.

See i've allways found this funny in a way. For example people have had their houses raided over buying hogue grips (that's not the funny bit.)

I fail to see how customs recieve the parcel of hogue grips and think "this must be for a real gun." There must be some pretty tricked out race guns in beautiful condition in the criminal wolrd then :P

Agreed never considered it to make much sense myself either - tricked out accessories etc arent exactly going to be a priority when it comes to an illegal firearm.

I suppose the one reasoning behind it would be 'well we've found a parcel with grips, wonder if these are finishing touch for other parcesl hes already rec'd that slipped thru the net'.

Ill try and see if I can get a look at an updated one. I was just curious as to the state of play. Always used to refer back to it when I was younger regarding carrying stuff in public (used to walk round to friends to plink with air rifles) and it helped no end to have the word of the law in front of you.

Archived