I need help

Holmes

I've finally decided on either a career in the USAF or the USMC. Now, this may not seem like a big deal, but to my parents it is. My brother and sister are both in college with excellent marks, and I myself in high school am taking a few honors courses, but nothing that I am doing right now is motivating me. I can't use the skills I am learning in school right now for anything I would find interesting. There's nothing. My parent's expectations of me are insanely high, and I would hate to break them down to me having a career in the military, as respectable as it may be. I don't know how to tell them that I may not even go to college. Any advice at all is welcome.

First of all, tell them. It doesn't matter how you do it, don't stall, just tell them. If you can't, have your recruiter tell them.

Second of all, Canada, USMC/AF? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Third of all, signing up for a stint in the armed services doesn't mean that you will never go into college. Let them know that. Allegedly, people who are ex-service members do better when they go through college after their term is up.

Lastly, I know what it's like to be in your boat. Right now, I'm either going to enlist in the Marines or become a Philosophy major and graduate. :P

Second of all, Canada, USMC/AF? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Dual citizenship. I've been living in AZ for a little over a decade, but I am originally from Vancouver.

Vip: the only thing I think that I could really turn into a career is my cooking. I would really like to develop that, but I would also love to attend the Air Force Academy.

Hello, hopefully-future-fellow Airman!

I'm currently Active Duty USAF. I fly on the AWACS as a computer tech.

I joined straight out of high school, a little over a year ago. I just recently finished my tech school and still have a bit of training to do (my job isn't the easiest).

I don't know if there are any other USAF personnel on the site, but I'll try and help you if you want any.

Cooking? Ask for Services. If you enlist, you can do a lot of cooking in almost any USAF base in the world. But for now, a lot are moving towards contractors. Most of the cooking by USAF Airmen is in the desert, I think.

Going through the Academy would be a good thing. Being an Officer vs. Enlisted is a good thing (IE better pay, I have to salute you, etc). You can also get into Services that way, but I think it's more of a managerial job than actual work (I don't know, I'm not an officer :D )

There’s also many many many lucrative technical jobs available in the USAF. Like mine. I fix computers. But I also fly. I get special pay for that, vs just fixing computers on the ground.

But ultimately, your best source would be your local recruiter and Google.

www.airforce.com has a lot of information for you. If you want to be an officer, you have to have a college degree first. If you want to enlist, you have to have a high school diploma. Also, as a plus, if you have a certain number of college credits, you can get a higher rank early on. (A1C right after basic is a good thing. I had to wait six months.)

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

- A1C “Kraut”

EDIT:

Also, in your debate of USAF or USMC:

http://chairforce.com/easy-chair/funny-pho...ary-compare.htm

Archived