Crane Stock Help

revsd5

Hey guys,

Im doing a Crane stock project soon on my M4, what one is the best bang for the buck and it holds what battery. I also need wiring or something, i want to have everything do i dont order it and find out im missing 1 inch pieace of wire. I think i need a small-large adapter, do i need to re-soider the mechbox??????

Any info would rock,

Thanks guys.

If you got the cash I would go for the APEX stock, its much more robust than the STAR equalent, and also it comes with a nice manual (as shown in the previous post)

However APEX batteries are much more expensive then the STAR ones, and do not buy the APEX NiMh 2100mah batteries, rather go for the NiCd 1700mah. I have allready managed to damage one NiMh pack and reducing the life time on another (crappy Marui chargers..)

Also even if you buy some of the products finnished and ready to be attached (like pre cut stock etc.), you might need a dremel to custom fit it as the wires often get to little space and you need to cut away some to make room inside the body.

EDIT: If you choose to go for STAR instead DO NOT BUY the STAR High Capacity Crane Stock. it can only use the same batteries as the APEX stock so you wont be able to use the rather nice and cheap STAR batteries.

I have done about 4 of these as new installs and several others as “repairs” – I didn’t do the original work on the repairs.

My recommendations is the Prime Crane 9.6 3300 kit. Boom Arms has them on sale. The full kit is nice since it includes a metal buffer tube plate and upgraded buffer tube and several other reinforced parts. All the parts are finished in “real steel” color. It should also be noted that the electrical connections are done with deans connectors for lower resistance.

I recommended the 3300 because of the Sanyo cell included in the kit. This cell has received terrific reviews by the battery industry and is capable of delivering huge amps if required. On average this pack has been known to take a 3700 amp charge. That’s a lot-o-bb’s in the air!

Installation is a little on the tricky side if you are not comfortable with making wire connections and working with a drill / dremil.

1.First step is to rewire the gearbox to the back

2. next is to cut the receiver as shown in the directions – follow the directions that come with the stock – a picture is worth a 1000 words.

3. slide the buffer tube and plate onto the lower and fit the cells into the buffer tube. Test fit the wire that you will be connecting to the gear box wires– you want to make sure you leave enough wire so that the connection is not tight but not so much that its awkward. This is the old adage “measure twice cut once”

4. Disassemble the buffer tube set up you set up for your test fit an attach the wire to the gearbox wires based on your measurements. Use a high quality insulator (shrink wrap) to protect your connections

5. reassemble the receiver and buffer tube with the new wire set up – setting the bolt to anchor the buffer tube can be a real labor of love – those wires will really test your patience – move slow and carefully and you will get it. – again follow the instructions. The instructions, with the exception of an occasional poor translation, are very good and should be flowed explicitly.

6. Install the batteries per the instructions and you are good to go

OK based on my experience here are two tips. First this battery is a mean one and needs to be given respect - Be very careful not to cause a short during assembly or leave a something that is a potential for failure. If this battery shorts out it has the ability to melt the insulation clean off the wires in your gearbox and melt the battery pack itself. Test your work with a meter to make sure the circuit is secure. I have seen a test report on these bats that says they can deliver a 30 amp surge. Second tip - The battery caps on the end of the stock are well easy to lose. Since I have not seen anyone making a replacements, I would recommend anchoring them to the stock with a bit of para cord.

To install the para cord remove the caps and drill a holes big enough to fit the cord in the cap to one side. Insert the cord and tie on the back. Thread the cord through the nice hole that is already drilled for you on the stock (this hole is located directly in front of the adjustment lever and adjacent to where the caps are fitted on the stock) Insert the cord and tie on the back of the other cap. fit the caps. Looks clean and most don’t even notice them in place.

Hope this helps

i personally have a question... does the real VLTOR stocks fit the batteries?

I believe the real deal is used to store small items including torch batteries. It would take some modification to allow an Airsoft battery pack to be used if it is even big enough inside, you would need to cut chanel's for the wiring.

Then you would need to deal with the buffer tube, as the real deal attaches differently.

Gentelmen,

I'm across the pond in the US and I just got my CA M15A4 RIS back from a professional airsoft shop called Airsoft Extreme with my Prime Crane stock installed and a 9.6v 3300 mAh battery in it. I was firing it in Semi-auto for about 5 minutes before the battery shorted out and caught fire. After taking it apart I found that the pro-shop did not follow the instuctions properly for the install, which created a pinch point in the wires with metal on both sides, which of course wore thru the wire, causing the short-out. I am now trying to prove that they made a mistake to replace the battery, but I need a copy of the installation instructions scanned and e-mailed to me with the pictures. Does any one know if they are posted any where or can someone send me the instuctions?

Thank you for your time and help,

Robo

Hey guys,

Im doing a Crane stock project soon on my M4, what one is the best bang for the buck and it holds what battery. I also need wiring or something, i want to have everything do i dont order it and find out im missing 1 inch pieace of wire. I think i need a small-large adapter, do i need to re-soider the mechbox??????

Any info would rock,

Thanks guys.

Are you regretting you got a gun that doesnt house a large battery yet? :P

Gentelmen,

I'm across the pond in the US and I just got my CA M15A4 RIS back from a professional airsoft shop called Airsoft Extreme with my Prime Crane stock installed and a 9.6v 3300 mAh battery in it.  I was firing it in Semi-auto for about 5 minutes before the battery shorted out and caught fire.  After taking it apart I found that the pro-shop did not follow the instuctions properly for the install, which created a pinch point in the wires with metal on both sides, which of course wore thru the wire, causing the short-out.  I am now trying to prove that they made a mistake to replace the battery, but I need a copy of the installation instructions scanned and e-mailed to me with the pictures.  Does any one know if they are posted any where or can someone send me the instuctions? 

Thank you for your time and help,

Robo

Which AEX did you go???

I think they suck!!! at least the one in the bay area, anyway I don't know if you miss "shin_en" post but at the top of the page he post the link to the installation of the stock...

Install the stock

Conceal the battery wires

Rewire and rework the mech box

Which AEX did you go???

I think they suck!!! at least the one in the bay area, anyway I don't know if you miss "shin_en" post but at the top of the page he post the link to the installation of the stock...

Install the stock

Conceal the battery wires

Rewire and rework the mech box

Yes, I live in santa cruz and it is a waste to drive into the San Jose area to wait, literally 20 minutes to get any service, my frined just wanted to buy a decharger, and with 3 workers and only 2 other customers, he was not waitied on! absolutely absurd imo, they suck from my experiance. And when my friend went to go buy an AEG there, each one he wanted to try out, the guy kept saying "Oh, you dont want that one" So he said, after the 5th gun, well then i guess i dont want to buy a gun here, have a nice day *mumble*f***er*mumble* Those guys hbave some of the worst customer service i have seen to date.

Yes, I live in santa cruz and it is a waste to drive into the San Jose area to wait, literally 20 minutes to get any service, my frined just wanted to buy a decharger, and with 3 workers and only 2 other customers, he was not waitied on! absolutely absurd imo, they suck from my experiance. And when my friend went to go buy an AEG there, each one he wanted to try out, the guy kept saying "Oh, you dont want that one" So he said, after the 5th gun, well then i guess i dont want to buy a gun here, have a nice day *mumble*f***er*mumble* Those guys hbave some of the worst customer service i have seen to date.

Yeap you are not alone mate!!! I live in San Jose and I hate when I need gas or BB's , and have to go to AEX. I honestly can say that they have the worse costumer service that I have ever experienced!!! However and just to be fair there is a couple of guys that work there that are really nice. Lucky for me the new Jungle Toy store in San Jose is now open for business, they don't have anything is worth to mention but they do have gas!!!

Archived