Longer Barrel on a CA CQBR

Fuser

Hey, I'm considering buying another AEG and the Classic Army CQB is the most likely candidate. I play woodland almost exclusively and I've heard different opinions regarding its range/accuracy. I also like the look of a gun with a slightly longer outer barrel.

If I get the gun, I might install a longer outer barrel, and I have a couple questions...I'll number them so you can answer them corresponding to the number :D

(1) If I install a 14.5 in. outer barrel, will I need to replace the inner barrel also?

(2) From experience, can the CQBR be used in woodland? I know its not a sniper rifle, but is its accuracy at least good enough for 40 to 100 ft. engagements?

Also, I'd appreciate recommendations as to who makes the best metal outer barrels for M4's.

Thanks

I'm doing the same thing with my G&P CQBR which I just received. I'm adding a 14.5 " outer barrel. I bought a King Arms one myself which I'm very pleased with, but considering you're getting a CA AEG, CA also make a 14.5 " outer barrel which would probably closer in color to the rest of your gun: link

Plus it's a true one piece outer barrel. As for woodland usage... I think it should be fine. I'd definitely recommend getting a longer inner barrel though. Just using the CQBR inner barrel with a 14.5 " outer barrel might be okay, but it wouldn't buy you any more accuracy than if you just left it at the original CQBR length. Look for an inner barrel of around 363mm.

Hey mate,

(1) As said above you would not necessarily need a longer inner barrel, but you could take this opportunity to get a 6.03mm/6.04mm Inner Barrel, which would increase your range and accuracy more than just a longer standard barrel on its own.

(2)The CQB is an excellent gun out of the box. Christhesecond, has used his stock out of the box (firing over the forum limits) in woodland for over 4 months, and never had any problems with it. The range of it, matches my TC with 14.5in barrel.

However, have you thought about a different CA gun? It strikes me thatif you are just buying a CQB and then putting a longer barrel on it, you may well be better off with, something like the new SPR, that has a lot longer barrel, which would arguably be better for woodland. It also has the newer version 7mm gearbox the same as the CQB, giving you excellent reliability and upgrade potential. The Battery fits in the stock, so you have can have a large type 9.6v, giving you excellent ROF, and the need to never have to worry about a battery running down on you.

CQB is in excellent gun though, I love the look of it. But it just seems a bit odd to me at least, to get one and then take away its biggest CQB aspect I suppose. But you wont be disappointed with one :)

However, have you thought about a different CA gun? It strikes me thatif you are just buying a CQB and then putting a longer barrel on it, you may well be better off with, something like the new SPR, that has a lot longer barrel, which would arguably be better for woodland. It also has the newer version 7mm gearbox the same as the CQB, giving you excellent reliability and upgrade potential. The Battery fits in the stock, so you have can have a large type 9.6v, giving you excellent ROF, and the need to never have to worry about a battery running down on you.

CQB is in excellent gun though, I love the look of it. But it just seems a bit odd to me at least, to get one and then take away its biggest CQB aspect I suppose. But you wont be disappointed with one  :)

To tell you the truth the SPR is the only other gun I'm considering, and I keep going from one to the other. I know the SPR is just basically a longer version of the CQBR (internals almost identical, rail system) and it makes sense that I would choose the longer over the smaller. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I've read around 10 reviews for the CQBR and there are none for the SPR.

If its pretty much the same gun, though, I don't see why it would need a review. I've also never seen any pics of of one taken by someone who owns it, never even a tiny opinion about it.

I know what you mean about lack of reviews, its the fear of the unknown!

If it were me in that position I think I would go for the CQB, I think having the adjustable crane stock is a very useful function (having just gone to one from a full stock myself), and the smaller size and lightness of it would be a clincher for me. BThe difference in range would be negligeble at most between a CQB, and a CQB with a longer barrel in a real situation, so I would just leave it as it was and stick a 6.03/4 barrel in to give it that extra accuracy.

hi mate

Yeah I put a 14.5 outer on it and kept the original inner for one game. It fired just the same tbh. I now have a 363mm 6.03mm prometheous in it and in all honesty the difference is pretty tiny.

Basically if you get a longer outer and keep the inner it shouldn't make any difference in performance as it didn't make any difference to mine.

If you have the money you might as well go with a longer tightbore just to squeeze that little bit extra out of it.

hope that helps

cheers

chris

Thanks for the help, christhesecond. I'm not thinking that it's more appearance than accuracy that I find to be a problem, so if I end up with the CQBR I might just get a long flashider or a suppressor. As a side note, has anyone ever seen a CQB with a G36K flashider on it? I'm wondering if it would look good and I think it might.

I know what you mean about lack of reviews, its the fear of the unknown!

True, but I still don't really understand why because the SPR is just a long CQBR...same CA rails, and probably the same internals. I think everyone who wanted that sort of thing got the CQB, and now noone wants the SPR...that and the fact that its not a true SPR :P G&P beat CA into the ground on that one...

Can you suggest a new cylinder please panzer?

cheers

chris

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=5718

That one should do if your new barrel is the same length as an M4 barrel

If you want M16 length this one would be better:

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=5719

Notice the hole in the side of the first cylinder?

It's there so that the volume will match that of the barrel as close as possible;

Shorter barrel, hole if further front.

Longer barrel, hole is further back, or no hole at all.

I haven't seen any reviews for the SLR Steel nor the new CQB compacts... :mellow:

Not on this site, at least.

The SPR would be more or less the same as a CQB or SPC internally, so just reading the reviews for those would tell you what you want to know.

I haven't seen any reviews for the SLR Steel nor the new CQB compacts... :mellow:

Not on this site, at least.

GuzziHero's CQB Compact SEALS Review...and Sniperman15's Review of the SLR Steel. Both on this site :D

I guess the latter is very short and isn't a full review, but the Steel is identical to the normal SLR minus the wood furniture and steel parts, anyway. So someone could fill in any remaining questions by reading the other reviews.

The SPR would be more or less the same as a CQB or SPC internally, so just reading the reviews for those would tell you what you want to know.

I agree with you there. Thanks for the info on the cylinders, too!

Archived