New Project Journal

Donut

Day 1 -

I decided to officially start another project, I tried to brain storm and toyed around with a lot of other project ideas before but they didn't work out too well. I think it's too hard and costly to do two frankenguns at the same time, so I think this project will replicate a real steel instead (not exactly my style, but whatever.)

I can't really decide but it'll probably either be a FAMAS or AK(?) Don't really know the model I want yet, maybe an AK101 with wood furnitures.

Anyways, I haven't gotten that far into it yet. So far I'm just working on the internals.

IMG_0014-7.jpg

Finally got this thing (mostly) apart...

IMG_0015-3.jpg

Here's the problem; I don't know what I should do for the power source. I can either keep the current system, and use c02 capsules in the grip (which means I have to modify the AK grips) or I could "extend" it out and run it into the stock or external rig.

Both has it's pros and cons, but the problem is I don't really know how to "extend" it out to use an external source, if anyone who's good with pneumatics, classics, and/or hoses/rigs can help that'd be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'd just stick with the current capsules and just be less trigger happy...

see the brass around the puncture pin for the Co2? Remove that, it has grooves for a large screwdriver. Now remove the internal bits of that piece and silver solder your gas fitting onto that brass. Then screw it back in with some teflon tape for a decent seal.

Alternatively; match the threads of that piece to a gas quick detach gas fitting and run hose directly into the valve.

Use these resources:

Palmers persuit shop (paintball fittings)

Classicairsoft.net (ideas and experienced helping hands)

Mcmaster-carr (parts in abundance!)

Good luck!

look for a after market "botom line" for paintball guns i think thats what you need i have one i can send you for about 10$(i would willingly send you my whole gun for 20 lol) but yea after that you should store a 9 oz co2 tank in the stock witch may have to be modded to fit. i also have a co2 tank if your interested.

I have a couple concerns. How efficient is CO2 with airsoft? How big is a 9oz tank? I have a 12oz and it's the size of the whole stock, I doubt a 9oz can fit inside the stock (Unless someone proves me wrong or can give me some dimensions.)

Plus I don't really want to have to make sure the tank is always full before and during the game, with CO2 capsules I can always just swap them out and dispose them, whereas tanks I have to refill them... I've seen dispoable 4oz tanks floating around before, anyone know how big how big they are and how to they perform?

Well, that's the internals. Now onto the gun, I think I'm going to go with an AK. I really like the CA wood SLR, does anyone know where I can find those (SLR/101) type of handguards and stocks? Don't really care if it's for real steel or airsoft (I can mod them to fit if needed.) Thanks.

Won't it look a bit off if the chamber on the AK would only go back as far as a 9mm would? CO2 was never really reliable on airsoft unless you have an external source. The 9oz tank is much smaller than the 12oz, but they're still fat and probably won't fit in the stock. You could try re designing the butt stock to have the gas tank as the butt stock like those Airforce Falcon airguns.

I can make it go further back, since it's not going to use the stock slide, I can make the bolt go back as far as I want.

Putting the power source aside, that can come last... I need to figure out a few things... first, how exactly does this work?

IMG_0017.jpg

I took apart the chamber, and I'm trying to study how it works, I know the firing pin hits the rear and pushs *something* (what is that something and where is it?) open then the spring closes. Where does the gas for blow back even come out from?

I need to find a way to lower the gas usage and amount of gas used on blowback, I'm going to lighten the slide, or not even use it at all, just the AK bolt and nozzle, so the stock amount of gas is too much. Would lightening the hammer spring work?

And lastly, I need to find the trigger sear so I could make it automatic, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks. If I could figure out these, then the rest would be easy; this is the first time I've really messed around with gas guns.

Ah, a mystery. What does that big chunk of aluminum (upper left corner in the box) do? I'm guessing its the chamber for the blow back piston. Could you also specify the brand and make of your airgun? I have a daisy 400gx and the blow back chamber is intergal with the whole valve bits. I'm getting very curious now.

Day 4.5: Yeah! First attempt failed... apperantly lighening the valve spring is a bad idea... even with the lightened hammer spring, it got even more powerful, I got about 400-450fps from the pistol barrel (went through the bottom of the coke can... imagine what a AK tightbore could do...) and a wicked blow back, but I only got 20 shots.

Verdict: Need a new AE...

So to recap: Lightening valve spring = no no, hammer spring can only be lightened by 3 coils.

I'm back at the beginning, I'll order everything I need later...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more parts came in; I did a little comparison but it seems like the CO2 mech will fit inside the AK body and grip, though I might have to cut out and hollow some parts.

Which reminds me, can someone link me to a good AK disassembly guide? I appearantly suck at searching...

Or I could just go at it and hope I don't screw anything up...

Archived