Phoenix - High Protection Gears

Murph

Looks like as more details come out a lot of time was spent thinking about how to improve these gears.

Anyways, what I was mainly interested in was this auto shim system they are talking about. Looking that the advertisment it looks like the package comes with a small bag of shims in the upper right. Which doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyone?

The only thing I could think of mechanically is that the shims go into a spring loaded area. And when they are needed, more come out onto the spindle. When less are needed, they go up into the gear.

Why they included them outside of it, I would guess there would be no real way to hold them inside.

Though, that wouldn't be the best design IMO, it would/could work.

Spring Loaded axles?  Very cool idea.  From what it looks like that isn't how it's done on these gears however.  Might be the next big thing.

I've been studying the pictures since echigoya announced the mg42 build utilizing the phoenix gears. There's a reason it still comes with shims even though it's an autoshim system. The shim is still needed to add stability to the point of contact between the axle and the bushing. As this is metal to metal contact, as the thickness of the shim thins from use, the spring loaded axle pushes out against the shim to maintain proper spacing, hence the term "auto shim." It's a self-adjusting system much like hydraulic lifters in a car's valvetrain. There is a limit, however, and after a certain minimum thickness, you will have to replace the shims.

What's also unique is what appears to be weights arranged around the central axis of the gears. If I'm right, the weights are there to stabilize the gear as it spins and counteract and prevent any wobbling. To reduce strain on ancillary components, the gears themselves are probably lighter in weight to compensate for the presence of the counterweights. It's some very cool engineering and I plan on testing them as soon as supplies are readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably be ordering a set of these for my MG36 - Just the standard ratio normal edition. If War4, Den Trinity, or UNco pick them up here with in the next couple of days. I don't order from WGC anymore because they use TNT Shipping, which goes through LAX which means you're going to get a customs bill. (9 times ordering from WGC and 9 Customs bills. 6 times from Den, 3 from Unco and 1 From red wolf = No customs bills yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived