Gearbox trouble

Chrissyg

Hey guys,

I've just broken a gearbox shell on my CAR-15 and I had a spare CA shell (the black one) I put some new Area 1000 bushings in but when I tried to spin the gears I found it really really tight if not impossible. I've tried with TM and CA gearsets and has as little shims as humanely possible on them with no avail.

Has anyone got any other ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks a lot guys n gals!

Chrissy

Did you just replace one half of the shell or the entire shell?

If you replaced the entire shell, start by inspecting all the bushings individually. Place a gear in each and see if any of them make the gear hard to turn. If so, sand down the gear axle or the bushing hole accordingly.

The easiest way to sand gear axles is putting the gear in an electric drill and sanding the gear while the drill is turning it. Just be very careful not to make the axle conical.

The intire shell was replaced. I've tried the gears with each bushing, and they spin fine outside the gearbox but inside no luck. I've checked the gearbox shell for things getting away and im stumped.

About the axles, I might just have to do that mate, cheers. Hadnt thought of it that way :)

Chrissy

The same thing happened to my TM Gearbox when I tried to superglue my bushings in. I guess I didn't make them flat enough so the gear axles were at an angle inside the bushings. But the end result was perfect, I had perfectly stable bushings and a perfect spin.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Make sure you screw the gearbox in perfectly. There is a tiny bit of play on a gearbox in the first place, so if you screw it in while it is "slanted" you will not have good gear-bushing engagement. I fixed this on my v3 gearbox by installing the switch unit and trigger to add stability (it basically eliminates the wobble).

2. Make absolutely sure the bushings are pressed in firmly and flatly. You don't really have to file anything, I just took a sharp flathead screwdriver and scraped the junk that built up on the bushing holes. This will ensure the bushings sit well and the gear axles are engaged perpendicular and not slanted.

I've had 2 of the CA reinforced black shells.

Both i couldn't get to work, no matter how many shims, Gears wouldn't turn.

Shell was stopping the free movement, Think they were moulded wrong.

Check the spur gear spin with the shell open, that was hitting edges on mine.

Archived