Is it just me or is everyone experiencing forum crashes on a daily basis? It seems like several times a day I can't get on to save my life. Either it sits there trying to load the page forever or it gives me a time out error or it tells me is can't find the site. Wasn't the migration to the new server supposed to fix all that? Also, when it's taking forever to load a page, down on the status line of my browser it says "transferring data from akmeter.akmos.ru". Is the forum running on a Russian server now or is my computer being used for nefarious purposes? I haven't seen anyone else post about the problem, so I'm beginning to think it's just my machine.

Edited by Phalcon51

Wrong place.

Stop complaining.

You have not donated to the site.

And if you had searched you would have found the reason it keeps going down.

kthnxbye.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, this was a bit out of line...

Edited by 101matt1

If I could search, I would, but tha't not working for me either. It tells me that theres a problem with the database. I've tried on several occasions. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

And btw, I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's me or the forum.

Edited by Phalcon51
Wrong place.

Stop complaining.

You have not donated to the site.

And if you had searched you would have found the reason it keeps going down.

kthnxbye.

No need to be a ###### or a hypocrite for *fruitcage*s sake. Maybe, since you know all about the errors, you could elaborate instead of being an idiot and dare I say "pulling a Matt"...

/rant

Edited by poorieuser

Thanks for the links dannyboy. I didn't even know those forums were there. I usually have a pretty limited amount of time to peruse the forums so I usually go right to the General and Tech Discussions. I'll try to spend a little more time looking at the rest of the site.

Btw, can anyone tell me what the warn: (0%) means under the country flag on my posts? I tried searching for that too, but came up with nothing.

Thanks

Edited by Phalcon51
So--how many donations will it take for a server that can actually handle the massive traffic flow here?

As far as we know, we now have such a server.

However, the settings were all ported from the other server. Kinda like fitting the fuel-injection system off a Nissan Micra to a Lamborghini V12.

As a result, Arnies IT elves have been tinkering with things to allow the forums to run optimally on the new server.

As for Matt, stop being such a balloon. You are in no position to criticise the attitude of any other forum user.

Donations not needed/wanted thanks.

Mysql is under review as there are issues with our current database that we run off.

This has been posted about in the news pages and in the forum site error section.

The issues is registered as "critical" and has two paid for techs at the datacentre monitoring the issue and looking into it. I have also been making tweaks where I can to see if I can locate the solution.

As you'll see, forums lovely and fast when they are working, however we are just having an issue trying to keep the large database running without error. Next up is a complete hardware and filesystem check of the databases to see if that is an issue, however that requires the rack to be pulled out for 3-4hours.

Personally I'd rather see it go down for extended testing than have the 'randomness' that were getting currently.

Cheers.

Strangely websites with intermittent problems never fail or produce problems when they are disconnected and put in a box. Sorry that sounds a little harsh, it's not intended as such, rather it is meant in a sarcastic manner. I'd like the problem fixed, and if I could fid it I'd fix it. ;)

The server can handle oodles of traffic, it's just out somewhat overworked forums that are having issues. We've got a database that dates back to 2005 and a lot of mods and hacks. The hacks etc are all going in the new release.