the one punch knockout

Hillslam

Snippet from an interesting National Geographic special on the kinetics of martial arts.

This clip disects the one punch knockout. The whole program was good. I love stuff like this that debunk myths that seem to run rampant in the martial arts community as different schools banter one-upsmanship.

Can't fool science. Listen to the last 5 seconds - size does matter. Sorry, little guys. All the "size doesnt matter" mantra thats drilled into paying students? Thats just pep-talk. Some things are obvious because they're true. The comments are also funny. Of course people get whining about it right away, but there's a few good ones there.

As with all things, its really dependent on the individual, but in general:

"Hardest" punch? Comes from western boxing.

"Hardest" kick? Anyone want to take a guess? Might not be the style you expect. I wouldn't want to receive one of these...

this was on TV over here ages ago.

yeah a boxer does have the hardest punch but remember theres always a play off between size and speed.

Sometimes a swift jab when not expected can do more psycholgical damage than a stupidly hard punch that is expected.

I mainly watched it as I was intrested in the muai thai section,

saw natgeo's full series on tele.

Yeah the old school boxer had one serious punch. But we'd be back to paper scissors and rock if we compare one way of fighting to another, or one "attack" with another... but we're not pokemon nor are we in a game.

The programme was really good as I watched the whole thing. There was a lot of editting, so you never know if the athletes took a 2 hour rest or went straight into the next "event".

They also done weapons, blunt, sharp, jointed and all kinds.

Unfortunately, when it got down to swords it devolved into a schoolboy, CHINESE JIAN VS JAPANESE KATANA ZOMG

Two different weapons from different battlefields, different times for different applications forced to be used against each other AGAIN. I wish I got paid a dollar (HKD) everytime somebody mentions that blasphemous topic.

It's like... my shaving cream is better than your shower gel.

=======

Anyway, on that punch - when somebody is that experienced in punching (in this case, something that doesn't move or hitback - at head height), it is no longer JUST boxing.

The guy probably made a perfect connection and understood his footwork and put his weight into it. At this point, it is not "WUHT MARITAL ATR AM BSET?" is it? But I'm getting philosophical now...

Put simply, big guys who use simple fighting styles have a higher chance of knocking you out! :lol:

I'd go with tae kwon do's kick, the one that shook the dummy sensor real ggooooddd.

But I won't "pick up" TKD for it though... years of training and lots of jumping rolling and dancing for what? Picking a fight with somebody so I can use a back kick to the heart? :lol:

nope... I'm just going to carry on watching programmes like that and going back to play with my swords.

=======

Creepingfear - the bigger they are, the easier to shoot at.

they are both different styles, there is no such thing as the bestest kick or bestest martial art.

Of course theres no way to have a definitive answer as to what is the best martial art, however you're being naive if you think that they're all equally effective. Theres a reason the majority of professional MMA fighters train a limited range of styles; these are the ones that have proved to be effective.

Archived