BB's Breaking Glass

Crandall

We're talking about WINDOWs, not tumblers or anything used for drinking! :P

Me? I broke my tumbler from knocking it against the tap when I was washing it.. :rolleyes:

No seriously.. the summary of this is: : low powered guns, will NEVER shatter a window, NEVER EVER. I could make a video of me shooting my window with a UHC P228 and mini Steyer ALL NIGHT if that's what it takes.. (providing the window is fully intact, no holes to begin with)

I posted these pic before in the old website. But since we're talking about breaking glasses, I'm chippin in.... :)

This is a beer bottle that I shot about less than a meter distance, with a my WA CQB (upgraded firing pin, with HFC22, at about 33-34 degrees celsius.)

181.jpg

And after that, I sprayed it with my Mac11.

182.jpg

And this was shot by a hand pumped air rifle (Cal .177/4.5mm) on an empty greengas tank at almost point blank range. The rifle was pumped about 7-8 times, creating velocities about 590-620 fps(depending on how many times you pump it). It was measured by a chrono, not coke cans.

183.jpg

But under the circumstances mentioned by the thread starter, it would be impossible to have a clean penetration on a glass that thick, that distance, by all the guns mentioned.

Actually, BB's can shatter or penetrate glass easier than cardboard in some cases. I can break some glass with my 120 fps shotty with .12 ammo. But in some cases i cant take a nick out of a thick bottle with my 380 fps assault rifle. It depends on the glass and the gun, and the ammo.

I used to have a cheapy BB trap that I shot at across the room with my MP5 springer (about six or seven metres). After a load of shots I went to check it only to find that the BBs had punched a hole not just through the trap netting but also a clean half-inch hole through the window behind it. Interesting one to explain to my landlady.

I never thought that was weird until now - nothing special about the springer, just a normal TM MP5. Do I get a prize for holing a window with a springer?

Being pretty new to airsoft I've played a few mini skirmishes in my back yard, using AEG's firing @ 280-290 fps, some of these battles lasted quite a while and the conservatory took an absolute pounding from all the full auto fire (Behind the conservatory there is an alley that provides excellent cover) And every was fine afterwards, not even a mark on the glass :)

But like the others have said, it really does depend on the thickness of the glass.

Archived