Calling all you AUG experts

Allright, so I helped upgrade my friends AUG. It was a pretty standard upgrade to my standards. I put in a Guarder Piston and a PDI 140% spring. We got through the gearbox easy. I'm not a gearbox "expert", but I know what I'm doing. Anyway we finished and tried it out, a disapointing 325 FPS. Supposdily, my friend is supposed to be getting into the 370's with a PDI 140%. I told him don't worry about it, it's only 40 FPS more under idle conditions. He wanted that other 40 FPS. So we ripped it down, installed #14 o-rings, teflon taped the cylinder head to where I couldn't get the piston to move forward when I had my finger on the nozzle. I consider that great compression. We slammed it in the gun, and we started to have some problems. The gun wasn't feeding He has two magazines. A TM and CA highcap. Both work fine, bbs are also high quality. No problem there. We have not taken the backplate off, since I heard the gearbox needs support in order to feed.

Now that all that's done I have a few questions

1. What is a good FPS to look for on a PDI 140%? I saw 370 FPS and 340 FPS on evike where I bought it from. I know, I know, evike sucks.

2. Is there anything I should know about gearbox seating in the AUG? Anything special? I'm simply making sure no wires are caught and sliding it into the body and putting the back plate on.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel Pearson.

Try this, I noticed in AUG's that the nozzle does not seat into the hopup chamber all the way, so to get it's full potential I shimmed the back plate (not the rubber butt plate) with plastic and foam to push the gearbox a little forward.

Chrono the gun without this little mod, and then give the gearbox a little push with your fingers to see if there is a difference. If there is an increase in FPS with the push, mod it.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Try this, I noticed in AUG's that the nozzle does not seat into the hopup chamber all the way, so to get it's full potential I shimmed the back plate (not the rubber butt plate) with plastic and foam to push the gearbox a little forward.

Chrono the gun without this little mod, and then give the gearbox a little push with your fingers to see if there is a difference. If there is an increase in FPS with the push, mod it.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

that is a really excellent idea.

Hey,

I just had this problem, I was only getting 280fps from an m100 in my aug with various parts fitted (stock tm cylinder, piston and head).

I actually dropped the compression in the cylinder by using a hurricane bearing piston head, dropped compression from say 99% to about 95% (rough estimates) and now it is kicking out 328 fps.... go figure!!!

Archived