Those grooves on 1911 metal slides...

FUmiYAsu

Hi,

I finally got my KJW P14 and am starting to do stuff to it...anyway I wanted to make it look like:

KimberEclipseII-01.jpg

Well, not exactly, just want to add the grooves it's got at the front of the slide. The problem is I don't know anything abt those grooves...

1) how deep are these groove normally?

2) How far apart are each groove? and wht's the width of them?

3) What degree is the angle where the grooves join the horizontal part of the slide at the top?

I would perfer measurements from a kimber slide but any similar slide would help...

Thanks

If you copy the cocking serations from the front of the Kimber you will probably have to re do the rear ones as well or they won't match.

Your probably better of doing as Antagon said, otherwise print of the picture of the Kimber after blowing it up to the real size and measure it. Cut them deap enough to just cover the original grooves and that should be abought right.

thanks for the replies

The thing is I don't have the grooves at the rear.. I am probably just going to leave it un-matched..the thing is the rear "original grooves" are the small common kind, so I can't really do cut deeper grooves to cover it as the bits sticking out will have got smaller grooves on it...however, the front is flat atm, hence I can do stuff to it...

As you said , if no one replies then I am probably going to get measurements from the pic....except the depth...

so does anyone know?

surely, kimber slides are not tht rare, are they?

They are deeper than the KJW metal is thick edge to edge. No way you can replicate them without precise machine equipment and it simply won't look nice even if you find a machine shop with the skill needed.

thanks for teh tip but I do have precise machine and a workshop here...

mind you , I do already have the slide side polished and I already photoshoped to see how it looks with grooves...I am pretty much decided on tht...

I only need measurements now..really......

thanks anyway

I can't really do anything abt the rear and a new slide is not really an option for now...

so I would probably just leave it...since a hogue grip and trigger is coming it should look good enough...

I can't really do anything abt the rear and a new slide is not really an option for now...

so I would probably just leave it...since a hogue grip and trigger is coming it should look good enough...

hey, how did you scrape the paint off the frame and slide? Did you use sand paper? sand blaster? steel wool?

it looks really nice and even...

Archived