Guarder Flip-Up Sight Problem

Fuser

I just received a Guarder Flip-Up Rear Sight (replica of the A.R.M.S. #40), and I'm having some trouble installing it on my M15 RIS. At first I tried to slide it down the rail on the upper receiver from behind, and then from the forward direction, and neither seemed to work. I thought that maybe the RIS was blocking it somehow, and so I removed it, but the sight still won't slide on. It fits perfectly on the RIS, but the rail on the upper receiver seems just slightly too large; the sight won't budge on either end.

Does anyone have a CA M15 and this particular sight? I'm going to try and sand it down a bit, because that looks like the only solution. If anyone has some better advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't understand why you trying to slide it on from 'either end'. The sight just drops right on to any rail after you loosen/remove the tightening nut. In any case the cross bolt would prevent it sliding down the rail.

Yes...not to be too insulting to your intelligence - but, uh, have you undone the RIS mounting screw?

NB-44-02.jpg

1. Undo Screw 1 slightly, so that Clip 2 moves away from the rest of the body.

2. Lay the sight over the rail so that the circular rod underneath (that contains the screw - and is to stop it from moving up and down the rail) goes into one of the slots.

3. Re-allign Clip 2.

4. Do up Screw 1.

CC

Sorry for not replying to this topic, I thought I had the problem solved but I don't.

I removed the cross bolt and the tightening screw, but the sight cannot simply drop in. Here's a picture of the underside of the sight with the cross bolt and tightening nut off.

IMG_1545.jpg

As you can see, even when the removable pieces are off there are still ridges on either side that prevent it from being dropped in; it must be slid along the rail.

Well for some reason (maybe its the width of the upper receiver rail on CA M15's) the sight will simply not slide on. I've tried to sand the underside of the ridges pictured at the right in the picture, because those pictured at the left will slide on easily but are stopped short by those on the right.

It is odd that this is not a drop-in type sight; every other BUIS I've ever seen is like that.

Anyway, any more help would be appreciated. I'm going to buy a strong file to sand the ridges more (sandpaper simply cannot create a smooth surface in such a tight angle) if there is no other way.

Hmm... sorry to have been such a condescending poopy before...

Yes, if you have removed all clamping surfaces, and it STILl won't slide on from the rear end with the cocking handle back - then that would seem to be the only way - to alter the sight.

Do you have a set of Vernier calipers? You could use the OD parts to measure the width of the CA rail, and the ID parts to measure the inside width of the BUIS in different places to see exactly where it is rubbing.

A file is the best way to get that softish metal off, yes.

Good luck.

CC

These rails sometimes simply aren't made according to specifications. I used to have a RAS on one of my AEGs, and the rails were 17 mm wide. I kid you not. No mounts would tighten to those rails!

-Sale

Archived