Tanaka Redhawk grip removal?

Chris North

As above really. I can't figure out how to get the safety out, so that the grips will slide off. There's some way to remove the "disc" holding the safety lever to the pin, right? Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked, and I don't want to take apart incorrectly and have trouble putting it together again.

For reference, the silver colored disc thing in this picture.

Picture001-1.jpg

It's a c-clip. You can use a spring loaded c-clip removal tool, which resembles pliers, round nose jewelry pliers with no teeth, or needle nose pliers.

You have to apply force from within the jaws of the c-clip, simultaneously at both points of the jaw, and push out and away from the retaining post. Hold the back of the c-clip with your finger to keep it from flying away.

That's actually what I was afraid of. I spent 5 minutes using a pair of pliers and a screwdriver trying to push the thing off, but I wasn't sure if it was meant to be removed. Oh well, I'll see if I can find some one with a tool first, if not I'll go back to trying with a screwdriver or pliers.

• 2 weeks later...

put a small flat blade screwdriver in one of the cut outs on the c clip and twist , the clip should pop off ( fly across room etc!) when you want to put it back slide it into position as close as it will go , then open your pliers , put one jaw on the back of the clip , the other jaw on the opposite side of the pin and squeeze gently.

Piece of cake.

Jim

Archived