Metal Slide Engraving Question

Shinotama

Hey there guys, me again with yet another question :P lol

Below is a "Clean" Guarder Aluminium metal top slide for a TM Hi-Capa 5.1, I am purchasing it in the next week. I know before anyone points this out to me its not 100% the correct size etc but thats because ive had to guess measure with my pistol up against the screen but its near in size now.

capa15a01yc4.jpg

I am wanting to get it engraved with a cool message or somthing on it, My Airsoft name is 'Vamp', yes half after the MGS2 character and other reasons, Below are two examples of some ideas ive come up with on photoshop.

vamppistolslideengravinim5.jpg

The above includes the original "OPS-M.R.P CAL.45" but minus the smaller writing under this and "M.R.P CAL.45" on the other side (I might get that on the other side done later)

The design also includes a 1px line and my name.

vamppistolslideengravintb9.jpg

This design includes the same 1px line and my name but includes a quick quote from my own being "Injustice Served" (Damn I love LAN Games). Thought it was quite good, I might change it to "Justice" served, also again might get "M.R.P CAL.45" on the other side under the bullet ejection port.

Anyways, the point in this post is that I would like people to come up with some ideas, Ive included the blank slide picture so if anyone wants a go please try, if you arnt that good at photoshop please just list some ideas down and ill try them out if I think there pretty good.

(For the photoshopping, to do the engraving, simply quick pick the grey from the gun slide and use a "Inner Shadow" [set on Distance "0" and Size "3"] pretty simple.)

Thanks people in advance, i'll let ya all know if and when I get it engraved with any of my or your ideas.

Shinotama

1) Get two pistols instead of one

2) Engrave "Joy" on one slide and "Happiness" on the other.

Then you can shoot people with joy and happiness.

-Sale

Intresting but I dont have two pistols lol, If I was I would proberbly get a Hi-Capa 4.3 like my friend / team mate because then I dont have to weld the front kit on lol.

Ive already spent enough on this pistol without having to buy yet another one -_-

Any other ideas? :blink:

Ever watch pulp fiction?

Mushroom cloud laying mother****er, mother****er.

Ahh yes, the movie confused me more than anything lol, intresting idea but if I didnt get it, I doubt many people would -_- lol.

Cheaper alternative:

Engrave LOVE and HATE on two magazines...that way you can be all out of LOVE when your victims beg for mercy  :P

Drop the empty LOVE mag, slap in HATE and plug away  :D

Hahaha :P Nice idea but im after slide designs not mag designs but cool never the less ;)

Both are cool ideas. Personally I like the second option. Perhaps you could put something on the other side of the slide as well.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

I threw up this idea, well not literally because that would be weird lol

vamppistolslideengravinfl3.jpg

The text is italic for the "Injustice Served" and the "Imperial Eagle" from Warhammer 40,000 under the port ejection, just think it looks good, not nessecarily because its just to do with warhammer.

I was going to say the "Love-Hate" thing too. . that's very common on gangbangers in East Los Angeles or even East San Jose . .they tatoo "Love-Hate" . .one letter on each knuckle LOL

or do some other gangsta stuff like "west side". . .j/k

Are you actually going to get it engraved? If you do. . it's just a matter of supplying the engraver or machinist a 2D CAD file or even a line drawing from Adobe Illustrator. The machinist will convert the linework to a toolpath on the mill and viola!

I threw up this idea, well not literally because that would be weird lol

vamppistolslideengravinfl3.jpg

The text is italic for the "Injustice Served" and the "Imperial Eagle" from Warhammer 40,000 under the port ejection, just think it looks good, not nessecarily because its just to do with warhammer.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Would look pretty sweet, especially if you polished the sides of the slide (makes the engraving stand out that bit more effectively..)

I was going to say the "Love-Hate" thing too. . that's very common on gangbangers in East Los Angeles or even East San Jose . .they tatoo "Love-Hate" . .one letter on each knuckle LOL

or do some other gangsta stuff like "west side". . .j/k

Are you actually going to get it engraved? If you do. . it's just a matter of supplying the engraver or machinist a 2D CAD file or even a line drawing from Adobe Illustrator. The machinist will convert the linework to a toolpath on the mill and viola!

Yeah when I get the design done ill ask what the guy needs etc and get it done, just gotta try and work out how much it will cost first, that and actually get the slide to work with / on my gun when I order it lol.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Would look pretty sweet, especially if you polished the sides of the slide (makes the engraving stand out that bit more effectively..)

I might polish it up first, Im not sure, Think that the engraved parts would be polished and the rest not, well the colour of the metal, not to sure yet, I just spent 3 hours today polishing silver dog tags / jewlery and metal gun parts so im quite spent on the idea of polishing anything right now lol.

a machinist, I've used before, charges about $60/hr for CNC engraving. . with a minimum of 1 hr. . so if you had alot of slides to be engraved with the same design. .then you can get maybe 10 slides in 1 hr (for $60). .depends on intricacy of the design and tool changing and such. . regular CNC machining runs about $100-150/hr.

but if you only have 1 slide. .well. .$60 for CNC engraving is rather expensive. ..

there's other types of engraving too, not just machining. . laser etching or chemical etching is by far the cheapest. .but it's also the "cheap" way out. . it's not very deep or realistic.

a machinist, I've used before, charges about $60/hr for CNC engraving. . with a minimum of 1 hr. . so if you had alot of slides to be engraved with the same design. .then you can get maybe 10 slides in 1 hr (for $60). .depends on intricacy of the design and tool changing and such. . regular CNC machining runs about $100-150/hr.

but if you only have 1 slide. .well. .$60 for CNC engraving is rather expensive. ..

there's other types of engraving too, not just machining. . laser etching or chemical etching is by far the cheapest. .but it's also the "cheap" way out. . it's not very deep or realistic.

Sounds about right, proberbly pay more for the engraving than I would for the damn slide, that or id get it back and think it is crappy XD

Someone mentioned laser etching to me, that way I guess I could get the writing in black or somthing... hmm....

Im thinking about the engraving more than anything, also I need it in £'s as I live in the UK, thanks for the ideas thought mate =D

divide USD by 2

fyi .. . laser engraving or any other type of engraving involves removal of mat'l. . how you going to get laser etching in black?

Ah sorry, proberbly got it wrong, a friend of mine knows someone that puts photos onto metal by use of lasers, but they only do black and white, I cant remember what its called though -_-

Archived