Maruzen Type 96 fluted barrel

Stealthbomber

I was thinking about getting a PDI fluted barrel for my L96 but the places I've looked, so far, are out of stock.

Anybody know if this is a discontinued item or can I expect to see it back in stock again?

Anybody seen it in stock anywhere?

Anybody know if a barrel from a different gun will fit instead?

Well, it's ordered and paid for. Rifle is REALLY starting to look the part now. The adjustable steel trigger looks lovely and the gun shoots really well.

It deserves this barrel to make it look a bit special.

Feel like I should buy a fancy piston now as well but the stock one is working faultlessly.

Got home and the first thing I did was fit the new barrel.

First thing that annoyed me was that I've just bought some barrel spacers for the Type 96 and I had to bin them when I fitted the fluted barrel cos it has a smaller ID than the original barrel. That's cos the flutes mean the barrel has to have a thicker wall. Obvious really, when you think about it.

The barrel comes with new spacers, though, so I fitted them. Guess the Type 96 ones will be going up for sale.

When it came to fitting the barrel I found the section of barrel behind the threads was very slightly too long. This meant that the barrel was tightening up fully before the outer edge of the barrel was tight against the receiver. I carefully filed about 1mm off the back edge of the barrel and it sorted everything out.

I should point out that I rebuilt the gun to check the mag was still loose before filing the back edge of the barrel. If the mag had been a good fit then tightening the barrel by an extra turn (1mm) would have been enough to make the mag a tight fit and difficult to eject.

Fortunately, the mag was still loose. I filed off the 1mm, re-tightened the barrel and it all fits perfectly.

The mag catch, hop-up and barrel all fitted perfectly. I sprayed a bit of silicone down the barrel before sliding the barrel spacers on.

I had to file the hole for the hop-up adjuster slightly.

All in all it really looks the business. Very, very nice.

Used it today and it shoots perfectly. Still shooting at around 498fps at a field that allows 500fps bolties. Site owner can never believe that it keeps putting out 497/498 fps shots without ever going over 500. He keeps telling me to downgrade it to 480 to be safe. He can't wait to see 501 on the chrono so he can ban it. :P

TM is working fine for me. Did you remember the .com.hk suffix?

A few pics of the new barrel.

DSC_1365.jpg

DSC_1362.jpg

DSC_1360.jpg

That's a Guarder L96 muzzle-brake BTW. I'll use the usual "The colour isn't that bad in real-life" disclaimer. It's just more matt than the barrel so it lights differently.

It IS ridiculously heavy though. It weighs nearly 1lb! I think it's made of solid iron. What's more, it only has an 8mm hole through the middle. the rest is solid.

Archived