Anyone know anything about leather?

CobaltSky

I have owned this vest for quite a while now and one thing that has always annoyed me is the velcro patch for fitting a shooting pad. ASMC where I bought the vest does have a pad for sale but it doesn't cover the whole shoulder and looks a bit naff from the pictures. My AUG has a rubber butt plate so its ment to be non slip but the loop velcro negates this property which is getting rather frustrating.

I was thinking for a project I could make my own pad. Start with the velcro then some thin foam padding (maybe 3mm thick), a layer of black cotton and then leather/seude for the pad itself. The problem is that although I can find plenty of leather suppliers I have no idea what I sould be looking for. I think I need about 4 sq. feet so that if I muck up my first attempt I'll still have some spare. Other than that I am clueless. There is so much variety and I'm not sure what I should be looking for. It has to be thin enough to be flexible and go through a sewing machine along with all the other stuff, non-shiney, and tough enough that it won't get ripped when crawling around in the undergrowth. That seems like a tall order but my crossdraw vest has a leather pad with the right properties so it must exist.

If anyone can help me find what I'm looking for it would be greatly apprecieated. I probably won't start this project till the new year but I want to have everything prepared.

Thanks

EDIT: This is almost identical to the crossdraw vest I mentioned.

eep, well you'll need not just some leather of which i think perhaps something THIN would be your best bet but also something to pierce the leather with and some decent needles and twine.

also perhaps something to pad it with? a thin layer of foam? just to give it some comfort.

as for needles and twine i'll dig out some links later i've got for leather toolers they have all the gubbinz you could want.

pete

Did you read all the way though my post?

some thin foam padding

has to be thin enough

etc

My aunt does a lot of dressmaking and has some heavy duty sewing equipment and knows pretty much everything except the leather bit.

Sorry to sound like a jerk when you are trying to help, but I did put a lot of my requirements into the first post, so if people are going to give me advice without even reading what I need...

I bought 5 hides of goat leather off ebay for £25 or so 40sq ft, this is hairless and has a sealed slightly glossy surface, thin 1mm, very flexible and strong, easy to work. Ive made knee pads, moccasins, bongo skins and its also suple enough for other more adult items of clothing. Available in a variety of colours and probably ideal for your needs as you could probably just glue it straight to foam for a neat finish if you cut the shape in a more laminated product.

Still got some floating about somewhere will have a dig round, but go to the bay for a start.

hi m8

Being in the leather trade(shoemaker) i would go for a 1.1-1.3mm cowhide which has been chromium tanned rather than vegatable tanned as it is generally softer and less affected by water.

Goat is a fairly good alternative but can be generally rather shiney.

Also unlike fabric leather is usually sold by the halfskin and charged per sqft from around £1.20 upwards( and ive seen 100sqft of cowhide lol)

hope this is helpful

tippey

Did you read all the way though my post?

etc

My aunt does a lot of dressmaking and has some heavy duty sewing equipment and knows pretty much everything except the leather bit.

Sorry to sound like a jerk when you are trying to help, but I did put a lot of my requirements into the first post, so if people are going to give me advice without even reading what I need...

right now i'm making a rude gesture with my hands.

<_<

you try to help a guy....

<edit>

oh bugger it i'm a soft sod.

leather links as promised.

http://www.craft-fair.co.uk/suppliers.cfm?...Leather%20Craft

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

http://www.theleatherconnection.com/index.htm

mostly these are links to just about every leatherworker in the uk but ask around some of them leather is an old hand type of work and many of the guys who do it aren't online.

pete

Archived