Marine Raider Loudout

Mag58FN

So, Ive been planning a raider loadout for a while now because lets face it... they were pretty badass. Being the big guy that I am, I couldnt just settle for a itty bitty thompson (even though I have one :huh: ) so Im buying a BAR and an m1897 as a backup.

What Id like to know now is am I missing anything? Heres what I have/have-ordered so far.

Marine WT camo Jacket (ATF)

Marine WT camo Trousers (ATF)

Marine WT camo Utility cap (ATF) (Im not a marine. I dont call it a cover.)

Marine WT camo Helmet cover (ATF)

M1 Helmet (ATF)

Leggings (SOF)

M1923 cartridge belt (ATF) (spare)

M1937 BAR belt (SOF)

Pistol belt (SOF)

1911 holster (SOF)

Service boots (SOF) (I hate boondockers)

2x canteen covers (ATF)

2x aluminum canteens (SOF)

1911 ammo pouch (SOF)

I dont want a pack because our games are too short to need one and our field is anti-bayonet so I cant have that. ill post up pics tomorrow of what i have recieved in the mail so far from ATF.

When is this taking place? Serivce shoes would be incorrect, you'd need boondockers, at the very least, army roughouts. And why have a pistol belt and cartridge belt? For raiders in early war didn't really use leggings, it wouldn't be incorrect it'd just be better without them. Camo utility cap isn't common either, the plain OD ones would be better. And try to get the ATF, non-WT helmet cover since the WT brown side is wrong.

And no marine in WWII would have a BAR, 1911, and Shotgun, it would weigh way too much. Marines tried to pack light. Not to mention they wouldn't use 1 primary and another as a "backup", as opposed to nowadays.

The 782 gear set (M1910 Shovel, Cover, Haversack, suspenders, and knapsack) is very accurate for a Raider's loadout. Maybe not the knapsack but the rest for sure. And you don't have to have it filled with airsoft things, I have the 782 haversack and for the game I just filled it with crumpled up newspaper then the top with BBs.

I'd suggest getting an Army First Aid Pouch with a P1912 Pouch (Early War) or M1941 Pouch (Mid/Late War) Basically anything after Bouganville you'd wear Utilities since the Camo uniforms would start to turn white.

I hate boondockers. I dont want to spend the money on a pack i dont want.

Ive seen pictures of a BAR gunner with a trenchgun on his back

I got the cartridge belt because im thinking about getting an M1903 after I get paid next.

the pistol belt is for.... pistol games.

Why would you hate boondockers? And no marine would wear service shoes, they just were never issued.

And although a BAR gunner had a shotgun on his back that may be like 1/10000 so it's technically correct, it wouldn't be accurate.

• 9 months later...

If you don't want boondockers, you can get Corcoran jump boots. They're near enough to the 2nd Raider Batt's logging boots and OD green Converse shoes with black rubber would also be appropriate for an early Raider load-out. They would not be found in a September 1943 or later load-out, as all 'Raider' items were destroyed by 2nd Raider Regt's CO.

However, in order to make such a load-out "work", you would need to do the following:

Leggings are not necessary and should be dropped. Trousers would be worn over the shoes or tucked into white socks.

Dump the pistol belt, the cartridge belt will hold a holster.

Dump the camouflage and cover in favor of the P1941 OD green uniform and a wire helmet cover (which will then be covered in strips of burlap).

Every effort to reduce weight was made by the Marines: A fully-laden Marine carried the heaviest load of any infantryman in WWII. And that's just among riflemen. Dump the BAR or the M97: You'll thank us later. (Oh, and a Raider, being a Raider, would have been given more lee-way than most to dump even more kit. Take advantage of that. Of course, the flip-side is that they were expected to operate on their lonesome for longer. So the Haversack and Jungle Packs were popular items.)

Dump the camo cover/cap: It's farb.

Get a first aid pouch. It's in the most basic of kit lists for an American serviceman.

Finally, you need a knife. Raiders, on average, carried three, counting their bayonet. They typically carried their stiletto, a Ka-Bar, Trench knife, medical bolo, and/or a 'Gung Ho' bowie, in addition to the M1905 (or M1917) bayonet, if utilizing a rifle (or shotgun).

So, revising your list:

P1941 HBT OD Jacket

P1941 HBT OD Trousers

P1941 HBT OD 'Raider cap'

M1 Helmet

Wire helmet cover w/ burlap strips (good for Corcorans and Coverses) OR camouflage HBT P1942 helmet cover (for Boondockers)

M1937 BAR belt

1911 holster

Corcoran jump boots/Jungle shoes/Boondockers

M1910 or M1912 First Aid pouch

2x canteen covers (First or Second Pattern: short straps with either durable snaps or lift-the-dot snaps)

2x aluminum canteens

1911 ammo pouch

Suspenders (either Army or Marine Corps will work, but a belt containing 240 .30-06 cartridges plus steel magazines, plus two full canteens is not light... add a 1911 and 21 round of .45 Auto and things get even worse.)

Raider Stiletto

Ka-Bar/Gung Ho bowie/medical bolo/trench knife

The camouflage P1942 uniform is an option, but it was only in use for about a year, as it was unpopular (half the pockets were useless at any given time) and faded to white cotton very rapidly. If you're portraying a late war Marine, early war Raider, or a salty mid-war Raider vet, the OD is the way to go, as many Marines would keep their uniforms in use for as long as possible, setting their 'campaign veteran' uniforms aside from others and then wearing them into combat for good luck. (EB Sledge makes mention of the fact that, at the time of the publication of his memoir, he still had the P1941 jacket that he wore on Peleliu and Okinawa, as a 'lucky' shirt. Similarly, many Marines also wore blackened brass metal EGAs on their jackets for the same reason: Good luck.)

And although a BAR gunner had a shotgun on his back that may be like 1/10000 so it's technically correct, it wouldn't be accurate.

to be honest you could say that about EVERY picture ever taken and seen as most evidence for loadouts been from books, the internet and pictures then you can say that about all pictures if they are in books or online like for example special forces very few pictures but some that are out there are only a small number of examples plus with this been airsoft you have some freedom as what you can use.

i have done my time doing WW2 re-enacting (british) but one thing i will say about doing this load out is that some of the stuff if you are after the real stuff can be really hard to come by sometimes.

@Jagdraben: very much indeed, forgot this was a raider kit

@wyatt666: it's pretty obvious that it would be incredibly rare that a guy be carrying a BAR and a shotgun, especially in the pacific, where guys would risk getting court marshalled(sp?) just to get a lighter gun

Well, even if he has a photo, we don't know the story behind it.

For all we know it could be posed by a Marine trying to look overburdened. Or it could have been taken of a real-life Rambo. We simply do not know.

In any case, it's about as accurate as being a Marine carrying an 1870s-vintage Smith & Wesson No.3 Schofield. Did it happen? Yes. Was it common? No. Hell no.

If he wants to carry 2 guns then let him. he obviously has a picture to inspire this decision, so let the guy have his way. Its his dream not urs. We're not re-enactors. we shoot each other with plastic balls.

I'm not going to stop him. Why would I? It's not worth my time and effort to do so. Instead, I'm trying to talk him out of it. Why? Because he wants to do what he wants to do and then, after the fact, call it a Marine Raider load-out.

Hes got a point... if theres just one picture that shows it happened, surely thats basis enough? Only if it ever happened once its still happened, if he wants to copy that one guy thats fine, and still an authentic marine raider loadout surely?

Just one picture... that he might have taken yesterday in his backyard.

Pictures alone are not enough. They must be corroborated. If it's corroborated, then sure, why not? But at the end of the day he's doing what he wants to because it's what he wants to do and not because he wants an authentic Marine Raider load-out.

If he wants to carry 2 guns then let him. he obviously has a picture to inspire this decision, so let the guy have his way. Its his dream not urs. We're not re-enactors. we shoot each other with plastic balls.

Yeah, and reenactors go out and say "Bang!" at each other. Whats your point?

they don't have to apply to them either. We aren't putting a gun to his head so to speak, he asked us what was worn and what would be accurate and we told him. It's up to him whether he takes our advice

Couldnt have said it better myself. He was just told what was accurate, and if he chooses to do something else, I wont believe him if he says it is a "raider impression."

Archived