DBT Predator

Fuser

Okay, not even MM, who has tons of information on DBT products, has a review of the Predator. I've searched everywhere and I've yet to find a decent review of this carrier. So I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

----

First, could someone point me toward a good review of this item?

Second, I was thinking of making this a Predator vs. CIRAS poll topic, but seeing as how so few people own a Predator and so many own CIRAS carriers, I figured it would be pointless. That said, what are some pro's and con's of this vest? If need be, please compare it to other armor carriers.

How's the sizing/adjustability?

Regarding DBT's new AW pouches, how many does the Predator fit in its internal compartment? (This is the kind of question I'll email DBT about, but if someone here knows, it would save me some time)

What material(s) is it made of? How is the color matching (specifically Coyote Brown) to other manufacturers (Eagle, Emdom, Paraclete, etc)

Finally, who uses this vest? I've seen pictures of PMC's sporting them, but this photo puzzles me:

2559440643_a088be3c19_o.jpg

Anyone know who the guy on the right is?

Finally, does anyone have any opinions about DBT quality and reliability on the whole?

Maybe I'm asking in the wrong forums, and if so, I'll take my search elsewhere. The only person I know of on Arnie's who's owned this vest is No Mercy, while I know at least 3 or 4 people have had experience with it on wannabe...so maybe an airsoft-based site isn't the place to ask, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Lets see...

I own a DBT FAPC in CB, teammate has a DBT RCBV, another has an RBV (both are versions of the Predator) and I used to own a Paraclete RAV, so I will compare that to this one, they are very similar.

As for pouches and quality, its upstanding. Personally, I stay away from their regular mag pouches, they are too stiff, even after usage, its a tight pull to get them out. Sure, great for if your jumping out of a plane, but this is airsoft, we must have sensibility to a degree.

DBT colors are, well, to me, they look shiny, to an extent, if you look at gear long enough, you can just tell that its DBT by looking at the rounded, brushed and polished look to it. Its not shiny, dont get me wrong, but it feels like it. The CB color is dark, the ACU is right on the money, OD is standard, and RG is dark and where you want it at.

Quality, its all strong, its durable, the stitching holds, and the carrier is comfortable, I've retained it longer than I did an EPC. Though, I am buying a new EPC later this summer, I continue to retain the FAPC, its just a great rig.

DBT is better than Blackhawk, its like TT in quality, but it sorta likes to try developing new things that dont work out, or somewhat copy designs (MAP wannabe for instance.)

I have their short stack shingles, they are awesome, they offer kydex mag inserts, their carriers are great, older gen stuff, not the new stuff with the buttons and stuff, I have never thought their new stuff was all that comfortable. You will be happy with a purchase with them.

I have seen numerous pics of PMCs wearing them, and even a few of SF wearing them.

Comparing it to a CIRAS....

1) CIRAS takes BALCS cut armor, and the Predator/RBV/ Paraclete RAV take a slightly different cut of armor. You can put BALCS cut armor(which is a more commonly found type of armor) in a Predator/RBV/ Paraclete RAV, but it is not the most correct fit. However, the Predator/RBV/ Paraclete RAV cut armor offers better coverage in the shoulder area.

2) The CIRAS has a quick release system, which is an advantage over the Predator RBV.

3) The older Predator RBV has a zippered cummerbund, like the Paraclete RAV, which I have heard can sag a little bit, But I have a Paraclete RAV, and have not had that problem. The CIRAS style cummerbund typically doesnt do that. The newer Predator RBVs have a CIRAS style cummerbund.

DBT/Battlelab makes good gear.

I have seen numerous pics of PMCs wearing them, and even a few of SF wearing them.

Comparing it to a CIRAS....

1) CIRAS takes BALCS cut armor, and the Predator/RBV/ Paraclete RAV take a slightly different cut of armor. You can put BALCS cut armor(which is a more commonly found type of armor) in a Predator/RBV/ Paraclete RAV, but it is not the most correct fit. However, the Predator/RBV/ Paraclete RAV cut armor offers better coverage in the shoulder area.

2) The CIRAS has a quick release system, which is an advantage over the Predator RBV.

3) The older Predator RBV has a zippered cummerbund, like the Paraclete RAV, which I have heard can sag a little bit, But I have a Paraclete RAV, and have not had that problem. The CIRAS style cummerbund typically doesnt do that. The newer Predator RBVs have a CIRAS style cummerbund.

DBT/Battlelab makes good gear.

It would probably help if you actually had real experience with both of the products your talking about.

Thanks very much guys, very informative responses.

One thing I'm wondering about is the various generations of the Predator. The 1st Gen, zippered cummerbund, is listed on DBT's site as a non-restricted, carrier-only item. The 2nd Gen is a restricted item. Same goes for the FAPC-AW.

First off, are these 'restricted items' because they come with armor inserts?

If so, is there any way to buy items like the Predator Gen 2 or FAPC-AW, without inserts? Seems like the FAPC-AW is a more streamlined version of the FAPC Gen 2, and the Predator Gen 2 is much improved over the Gen 1, so I'd rather buy a FAPC-AW or Predator 2 than an 'older' or 'lesser' version of either.

Back to that photo...anyone got a clue? If not, no worries, I'm just wondering.

edit

One more thing regarding civilian purchase of DBT's 'restricted' items, without armor inserts...are there any retailers that carry DBT vests, or do you have to buy directly from DBT?

Good luck finding DBT products outside DBT. My teammate, who is deployed right now, and using his rig....bought it at the Tusla Gunshow. Its literally the first gen of the thing, the RCBV.

I bought my FAPC private, I've purchased from them as well for pouches, all of their pouches, save for 3 have been sold off in favor of Paraclete and Eagle.

The newer rigs, are ugly looking, and not comfortable, but they are designed to save your life, not make you look cool, since this is Airsoft, we all care about fashion, not practability.

Really, you have an Eagle PC, its perfectly fine for what your wanting to do, but if you want full armor, I know one OD one, an 07 model, is for sale, with soft inserts for like, $700 right now. Really, the RCBV/RBV/whatever.... is really a good rig, cheaper than a RAV, but they are hard to find. Best thing, keep looking, they'll show up every now and then.

Good luck finding DBT products outside DBT. My teammate, who is deployed right now, and using his rig....bought it at the Tusla Gunshow. Its literally the first gen of the thing, the RCBV.

Yeah, I just read on their site that DBT is currently the sole distributor or BattleLab products.

Right now I'm in the gray area between airsoft/using and collecting. I'm thinking of buying a rig just to build for fun, and keep, and use very little (college in less than two months means I'll have to put airsoft on a hiatus).

Anyway, I'm interested in both the FAPC-AW and the Predator, either generation. I plan on emailing DBT to find out whether I can buy this stuff.

I suppose it would make sense to get a FAPC, it would be more useful in the last few games I play, especially since it's hot outside and I've got a PACA in the mail. I'll have to make a decision based on what I can and cannot buy legally, and what the prices turn out to be.

Thanks again for the help guys.

I'm leaning toward the FAPC-AW right now, depending on what a Predator Gen 2 will run me.

Like I said, I have a PACA on the way, so it would be a whole lot easier to run that with a PC than try to sell it off and buy an armor carrier.

I sent DBT an email, who knows when I'll hear back from them...I hear they have bad customer service, is that in the past now? Or is it the same story?

About the customer service. Last year I ordered a few things JUST as they were "updating their system". I had very good contact with one rep there for a while. One day communication just totally fell out. Plus I had to wait six months for something that I could have easily ordered from another company. I wasn't too happy.

Can't comment on recent CS.

Some people like DBT, I personally don't care for it. I think there is better built gear out there, but thats just my opinion

hi guys, i would suggest ebay as source of predator / rav variants. prices have come down to $175-400 depending on size / color / condition. a few months back, there were loads of rav tri color / woodland medium size could be had for around $200. just several days ago a tricolor med including a full kit of pouches got sold for only $250.

color of predator has camel tan (discontinued) and coyote brown. they have no equivalent for eagle mjk / khaki colors.

as for impersonating stuff, i would choose marciras khaki cuz u can nail so many with it plus its color can match pantac, eagle, bhi, ppm, tt, and other brands in the khaki, mjk, spectrum.

145160989_sXVXL-O-4.jpg

camel tan, dbt below with sds tan mag pouches and bhi radio pouch, bhi canteen (in back view):

309319977_dpscz-O.jpg

309320091_yJPwh-O.jpg

309320094_8b2w6-O.jpg

color in outdoors , camel tan:

309320420_tbWqu-O.jpg

my old paraclete rav for reference:

309320321_y5VGh-S.jpg

my old medium marciras for reference:

309320355_A3BFK-S.jpg

don't quote me on the prices on ebay, i might be bidding in the future, so price might jump lol.

Thanks for the info and pictures scoob.

Since Camel Tan is discontinued, and I was going to get Coyote anyway, could someone tell me what colors go best with DBT Coyote?

I saw a pic once that I'll try to dig up of a DBT FAPC in Coyote with EI MJK pouches, which matched very well. It seemed like EI Coyote would be too dark compared to DBT coyote.

I guess I'm asking, if I'm going to get a Predator/FAPC in Coyote, which colors from other manufacturers (Eagle, Paraclete, BHI, etc) would go best with it?

edit

Here's the picture, it's from someone on wannabe

2561227289_f6643f0f19_o.jpg

IIRC, he said the carrier is DBT Coyote and the pouches EI MJK. Color matching is alright. So would EI Coyote be too dark?

edit 2

Actually I'm planning on putting Coyote Paraclete pouches on whatever DBT rig I get, so that's the color matching I'm most concerned about.

hi guys, i would suggest ebay as source of predator / rav variants. prices have come down to $175-400 depending on size / color / condition. a few months back, there were loads of rav tri color / woodland medium size could be had for around $200. just several days ago a tricolor med including a full kit of pouches got sold for only $250.

What categories were these Predators listed under? Was it under

everything else>personal security>body armor

or

collectables>militaria?

Scoob, just out of curiosity, what size is the Predator you just posted pictures of yourself wearing? Also, is there any difference in terms of number of PALS rows/columns on the vests from size to size, as is the case with the CIRAS?

This is a question related to the Predator, no point in starting another thread:

Could someone give me the dimensions of SPEAR cut armor for a Small size armor carrier? Or better yet a diagram with these dimensions?

Archived