Joining a Foreign Military

Marrius

Hey all, I have a question for you guys I figured someone on arnies would know this. I am a dual citizen of The United States and Canada; I go to school in Canada but live in the US. I was looking for some help with paying for school and I was looking at the military option. I would join the US military, but i would rather be able to finish college and then serve not vice versa, also im not quite sure they would pay for me to go to an international school. So, as an alternative, I was looking at the Canadian Forces. I know I can join and i know they would be able to help me with my degree in Canada. The major issue is: Will I loose my US citizenship for joining the CF? I have heard that you could but ive also heard that you would only loose it if you joined the foreign military with the intent of renouncing your US citizenship, which I have no intent on doing. I am a Born US citizen and a naturalized Canadian citizen, if that helps. Any info would be great

I may be wrong but....

you wouldnt have to renounce your citizenship, nor would you lose it involentarily, unless...

- you become an officer in the canadian forces

- canada goes to war with the us.

but i could be wrong....

just to add, many europeans who move to the us as children still have to serve complusory military service in their home land (i use russian NHL players as my example), yet they still retain their us citizenship.

I guess you are right on the NHL players point, Kousnik; I did want to go the officer route in the CF though (its more money)

Finland!? more like WINland amirite? I would love to move to Finland and join the FDF the only problem is, Canada is already too cold! lol.

Archived