RS FreeFloat Ris On airsoft?

You can, but you're probably going to have to dremel something to make it fit. One of my friends put a real Larue Rail on his G&P metal body and it was rock solid. He spent a lot of time making sure it would fit.

Just to be safe, just go for the King Arms version of the real deal

http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=911

The King Arms piece fits on the real deal, so I would expect the real thing to just clamp on the Airsoft barrel nut and that's it. You can buy a real barrel nut with the M7 if you want to be sure. Real barrel nuts and such fit AEG upper receivers directly or with minimal filing of the threads. Any fitting would be down to tolerances of the manufacturing instead of intentional differences in dimensions.

-Sale

I think its funny you mention a Troy rail because I tried this just the other day with great success. A troy M7A1 might not be the right direction as thats a full blown upper receiver, but the MRF would work. Granted, like most rails used in airsoft, there is not enough room for batteries between the barrel and the forearm... That said, it's not a bad choice for a real steel part.

I decided take the part off my AR and put it on the AEG to show you how simple the Troy part is. The one, specifically, that I am using is a Troy 10" MRF (Modular Railed Forearm) that came with my first AR15. In terms of practicality for AEG's, I's say its decent when compared to comprable rails made by companies like Daniel Defense, LaRue Tactical, Surefire, and Samson.

So, these are the parts that I was working with. There is an upper and a lower part to the rail. It seems as though the upper would be compatable with a barrel mounted M203, the fact that its free float is ever better:

78594543ui2.jpg

If you pay attention to the upper receiver of the AEG, you can see where I took a dremel to the magnesium surface to get it to the proper width. This is necessary for the troy MRF because it has tabs that fit on either side of the upper receiver to insure the rail sits perfectly straight:

53601147gv9.jpg

Now the upper part of the Troy MRF requires a spec barrel nut which is just milimeters larger than what came with my G&G. So, I took something on hand to add a little extra material to the barrel nut. Yay Starbucks:

91698688ag9.jpg

After cutting out just a little bit of material, I placed that un the upper portion of the rail. This makes the rail a stiff fit, but the four hex screws get a chance to really lock the rail down - This is especially important given that this is the only area where the rail makes contact with the AEG as a whole... if the rail wobbles at all, it will be rendered useless for aiming devices:

41819221xv2.jpg

So now everything is clamped down nice and tight. The rail won't budge in any direction so I'd call the chunk of cardboard enough. Pay special attention to the size of the Troy rail compared to the smallest part of the barrel - my nunchuck batteries wont fit in there, Im estimating that didstance to be just a hair over 1 cm. Also, you can clearly see that this rail would be suitable for a barrel mounted M203:

26925786rc6.jpg

All in all the rail works just like it should. I mean, hell, its a bloody railed forearm. It matches the vertical height of a flattop upper receiver though in my case, its twisted by a degree or two. And yes, I'm aware the bipod is backwards; but on a carbine, I don't want the extra torque:

42052860uc0.jpg

So yeah, all in all its a decent solution. The fact that I pulled this off my Ar15 and put it on the AEG and visa versa should go to show how simple it is to install. If you can afford it, you won't be disappointed though I believe there are better options out there. This Friday I should be receiving a new railed forearm that is priced within $10 of the Troy 10" MRF, so I'll try to write up a full review on it.

I hope that helped - I know vague answers usually don't help illustrate whether or not a new toy may be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh sorry for the late respond but much thanks QDRenegade. Well I was thinking and now decide on making a 1:1 replica of the complete troy m7a1 (me and small guns :rolleyes: ) Reason I don't want to go with king arms, no FDE Lol colors means a lot to me... (Plus for $60 more I get the color I want, a rs rail system I can swap to on a real firearm later and I can feel uber l33t)

Okay. Be careful about battery placement though. A troy forearm doesnt have room for a battery between its ID and the barrel and a short barreled rifle wont have much room on top for a PEQ battery box. Perhaps one of the reciever extension batteries would do the trick.

I know how you stated nunchuck batteries didn't fit; oh what type of nunchuck battery pack were you trying. I was wondering by how much; if a cm I can always dremel the outer barrel a bit.

That crossed my mind. Even with my barrel down to 1/2" in diameter, there was still no chance. Since its rather late, I dont want to take apart the AR and get the dimensions again, but I believe the Troy rail's ID was 1.36". At the thinnest part of my barrel, that left only enough room for the width of the battery - Not enough given that the space to fit was curved rather than a box. AAA's fit in the open room, but AA's got real scratched when they got forced in. Thats about the amount of room youre working with. Im sure it could be done with a permanent battery solution, but the holes on the MRF would make retreiving the battery connector hard for charging - youd need to solder in an original connector for a single charger. Probably more work than an expensive rail is worth.

Back in my photo post I mentioned a different real steel alternative that I was about to receive. The rail worked without a hitch. Its one of the POF Predator series rails and runs in the same price range as the Troy MRF... Works like a bloody charm.

DSCN0600a.jpg

DSCN0850.jpg

Rather than pay $230 for a rail that will require some jurry-rigging, I think you'd be better off getting a perfect POF from the get-go in the same price range. If you want to go that route, I'd be happy to walk you through it. I should probably write up that review I mentioned anyhow :P

Cheers.

Archived