Do snipers have a role on a fireteam?

expvideo

Do snipers have a role on a fireteam?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do snipers have a role on a fireteam?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have to agree with Clampitt on this one. Designated marksmen are the guys you need on your squad, not snipers

Exactly. The problem is that most of the people posting in the thread don't know the difference, and despite how much we try to explain the difference, they don't read the whole thread before posting their replies. Just watch. Two or three posts after this, someone will not bother reading the thread and say that an accurate rifle can come in handy for long shots, so a sniper makes perfect sense on a fireteam. Then we will tell them that is what a designated marksman is for, and the circle of frustration will continue. I'm getting really sick of this thread.

• 2 months later...

I have a group of 10 airsofters at the moment, 80% serving or ex-serving. We will have ourselves a Fireteam +2, as part of that we will have 1 Team Leader, 1 Squad Leader, 1, grenader, 2 gunners and 3 auto rifleman.

As a completely indvidual unit we will have 1 spotter equipt with an Auto rifle and long range scope (just in case) and one with a machine pistol or pistol and long range "sniper" weapon.

The so called "sniper" or "marksman" team will operate completely solely as a 2 man team, obviously we are on the same side so where possible they will cover us and assist, but there main objective will be to hole up and cause damage to the oposing team while stealthy moving towards the objective (where possible)

Now Im not saying anyone is right or wrong in their opinons. Basically anyone with a Forces background will understand the real use of fireteams, snipers, marksmen etc. But in the Airsoft world teams can go about things in a way that works best for them. We have decided as I wrote above that this is how we want to roll and anyone else should play with tactics they choose, however if we are talking about real life, real war then Clampitt has got this one right.

Archived