Why Sunproject?

scar527

I have always known about these rifles, but what makes them special? Do they have good concistancy, accuracy ect...? Are they a good overall rifle? Or do people like to get them because they are classics? If this has been posted before please post a link to that topic. Any reply would be much appreciated.

Post away! :D

Happy Hunting

Scar527 ;)

Well, I'm looking at buying one for the following reasons:

Wooden! That's a biggy to me.

They're cheaper than a wood stock for a Tanaka M40. barely more expensive than the CAW VSR wood stocks.

Simple enough to mod the innards, I like modding and custom making things.

Rarity. All my rifles tend to be distinctive in some way. I like it. Good to turn up to a game day with over 200 other people, and be the only person with a certain gun.

zmf535.jpg

Isn't that just sexy?

I like mine because: it's rare - makes people a little scared because it stands out. It's solid - no cheap cast pot metal here and consequently, lots of it can be remachined/replaced easily... actually held a bar-10 last week... yuck. Sorry but it felt like a toy. I like the wood - it's overpriced airsoft wood but it's nice... beats any paintjob. My friend had a stock m40xb which he got for next to nothing. It shot great stock and is now shooting beautifully at ~480fps simply with a modified trigger and new spring.

The hop and barrel: stock M40xb uses a proprietary barrel and hop unit (the best being the o-ring type). Aftermarket 6.03 barrels are available and this combination is very good. Personally I use an EdGI 6.01, firefly hard bucking and PDI hop chamber (same one for L96, APS2 etc.) because I bought my M40xb with a screwed hop and stock barrel. After much fiddling, I can happily report accuracy being comparable to any other high-end sniper rifle.

It's also long and heavy - which can be good or bad. The inner barrel is 555mm and mine weighs about 4kg.

If you were to get one of these you would need to be in the same frame of mind as say a Tanaka owner. There are few drop-in upgrades and the rest relies on mechanical know-how. They're also expensive to buy (close to us$400 new) but upgrades will probably run around only us$150 for the cylinder/trigger to 500fps+ and us$150 to replace the hop, barrel and bucking at most. Personally I would look for a second-hand one with an owner who is fed up with it because they'll flog it for cheap. Mine has cost me in total, ~us$300 :) My friends one: ~us50 :o

lol i just put it back together yesterday after having it sit in pieces on my desk over exams :P

The only option with the trigger is the bearing trigger which has a small ball bearing on the end to reduce friction. You can also put a small grub screw in the trigger to pre-load it to make the pull lighter.

x-fire is your friend and so is dentrinity.com.

I can take pics next Monday after the weekends game if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into one of these, to add to my collection - so to speak. I'm just not sure if which to opt for, given they aren't the most talked about guns on here.

I was looking at WGC, as they seem to be carrying at least 'some'... unfortunately looks like all but the silver barrel and thumbhole ones have been discontinued though :(

Which would people recommend?

Just noticed that DenTrinity have the M40XB for $349...oh so very tempting.

Well, those should be fine.... if you're really worried about it Krylon is your friend. I own an M40A1 and was going to send it to DBs to get a 6.01 barrel made for it... because then they'll have them in stock for those of us who still use them. Also, get a reliable hop model, adjustable hops are finiky on the SP M40s... and the fixed hop can be adjusted for BB type and weight... but once you've set it, don't fruitcage with it and make sure you've got plenty of ammo for it.

Well, those should be fine.... if you're really worried about it Krylon is your friend. I own an M40A1 and was going to send it to DBs to get a 6.01 barrel made for it... because then they'll have them in stock for those of us who still use them. Also, get a reliable hop model, adjustable hops are finiky on the SP M40s... and the fixed hop can be adjusted for BB type and weight... but once you've set it, don't fruitcage with it and make sure you've got plenty of ammo for it.

Yeah, i'm not really worried about the silver :) So, which are the good hop models? I woudn't be worried about fixed hops, i'm quite sure that i'll be using SGMs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived