Are energy suppliers con artists or what?

GuzziHero

Hmm... my latest reply to British Gas.

---

Dear Sir:

Quote from your previous message:

----

I’ve looked through your account and expect that your gas usage for the next 12 months will cost approximately £601.60 (inclusive of VAT @ 5%). This figure is based on your actual consumption over the previous 12 months and taking into account our recent price increases. We've received five payments of £51.00 from July 2008 to November 2008; the total comes to £255.00. Subtracting the payments received, gives a total of £346.60. Dividing this amount by five as there were five payments remaining in your payment scheme; the monthly payments come approximately to £69.32. We have set the direct debit to £69.00 and the set amount is necessary to ensure that you cover the cost of your annual consumption.

----

£601. You have received £255 over 5 months. Out of that £255, somehow my account has built up a credit (according to my paperless billing account details) of £254.27? Plus, if I have sent 5 payments, and there are 5 payments left in my payment plan...last I remember, there were 12 months in a year.

And how can one person living alone, who is out of the house upwards of 40 hours a week, use up 35% more gas than 3 people, 2 of which were practically housebound?

I would suggest British Gas use some of the interest they are collecting on MY money, to purchase a new calculator. Theirs seems to be broken.

I am just awaiting my confirmation from nPower to change my power supply to them.

Yours faithfully,

Christopher White.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 13/12/2008 11:48:40

To: macross07@btinternet.com

Subject: Thank you for your email - Ref: EMAIL1603715.msg

Dear Mr White

Your Gas Customer Reference Number: 850019409059

Thank you for your email about asking to reduce your direct debit.

We have reduced your gas direct debit to £60.00 and your next payment is due on 2 January 2008. You will receive a letter confirming the changes in your monthly direct debit by 23 December 2008.

If we reduce your payments further, it is very possible that your account would build up a large debit balance. I am sure you will agree that this is something we would like to avoid. At time of your next reassessment which is due in April 2009, if your consumption reduces we will reduce your payment accordingly. Your Customer Payment Scheme is designed to ensure that there is no excessive credit or debit balance on your account at the end of your payment scheme year.

Indeed :)

They dont want to make sure I 'balance'. Its in their interests to keep me in as much credit as they can to inflate their share values, and only pay back when they need to. And even THEN to ensure that I always have at least £200 credit in my account. Sorry, £400 - I'm on dual fuel.

All credit to him for being polite in the face of some provocation but heck, thats his job!

Indeed :)

They dont want to make sure I 'balance'. Its in their interests to keep me in as much credit as they can to inflate their share values, and only pay back when they need to. And even THEN to ensure that I always have at least £200 credit in my account. Sorry, £400 - I'm on dual fuel.

All credit to him for being polite in the face of some provocation but heck, thats his job!

I disagree wholeheartedly with your conclusion. It's more likely simple incompetance selecting a far too rigid system for determining future prices based on usage.

Yeah, I'm probably paranoid. Plus you know my opinions on corporations HAHA

Thing is with them, I do understand that they arent going to know of the changes that have occurred this year but thats exactly my point with them. They should see things from a totally mathematical perspective, and they will know that my usage will have plummeted. I carried on paying the same as my parents did, knowing (expecting!) that I would see a large credit build up, and large reductions in price after 6 months. My electric cost has dropped over 33%!

Even with price increases, and with the original 3 persons living here, for the price of gas alone to go up 35% is pretty darned impossible. As you say, their system must be overcomplicated and prone to occurrences of mistakes.

I wouldn't imagine you'll get anything out of any of these kind of companies.

It's like insurance. What a complete racket. People taking advantage of the face you are required to have something, and setting up a company specifically designed to fleece people for as much as they can get.

Ben.

I disagree wholeheartedly with your conclusion. It's more likely simple incompetance selecting a far too rigid system for determining future prices based on usage.

I Agree.

Guzzi, accounts don't work like that.

If they owe customers money then on their balance sheets that amount which they owe will be shown as creditors and will not effect their profit and loss accounts, its shown as a liability on the accounts which if anything should lower the share price.

And to the people claiming they're making loads in interest, do you even know if their business bank account/s even pay interest? Its nothing like personal banking, in business you get charged for every little transaction made and its not uncommon for the banks to pay no interest at all on the balances.

Anyway, i imagine at the moment they'd quite like to have the customers overpaying a bit and building up a balance incase they loose their jobs and are unable to pay their bills, in which case they wouldn't stand to loose as much money.

Archived