Using an FAPC backplate W? RRV

the roob

Like the title says, I'd like to add a backplate to my RRV but I'd like something not as wide as the MLCS/MBSS compact plate carrier back plate.

the FAPC backplate carrier looks like what I am looking for, but I am not sure if I will be able to fit them together. Do you think I would be able to figure out a way? has anyone done anything similar?

thanks for the help.

IDK, but if the FAPC uses buckles to attach, it should fit, or if not just get some matching ITW Nexus buckles and you should be able to find a way to make them work.

Also, what are you going to mount to the backplate? If it's just a hydro carrier, a spine MAP is way skinnier then a backplate+hydro combo.

Like the title says, I'd like to add a backplate to my RRV but I'd like something not as wide as the MLCS/MBSS compact plate carrier back plate.

the FAPC backplate carrier looks like what I am looking for, but I am not sure if I will be able to fit them together. Do you think I would be able to figure out a way? has anyone done anything similar?

thanks for the help.

Well the only problem you are going to run into is keeping the DBT Backpannel attached to the RRV itself. Now I made a little mini guide as to how to attach the backpannel to the RRV, however its going to need modification to keep them firmly attached. I dont know how well you feel about cutting into your gear but it may have to be done if you really want to go that route.

PICT0001-1.jpg

So here is what the RRV and DBT Packpannel will look like together. Putting it together wasnt hard at all and was quite easy to do. Basically what you want to do is disassemble the FAPC and take the back pannel and line it up with the RRV's first elastic band. From their, you will want to slide the FAPC's "tounges" into the elastic and then slide the RRV/MBSS Upgrade elastic bands across the top. This will come with any EI RRV that you purchase new or used if the person kept them, however Im not sure if it will come with Pantac or OE Tech RRVs.

PICT0002-1.jpg

By Tounges I mean this section here where the clip would weave itself with the front peice of the FAPC. Now at first I didnt think that the elastic would be able to keep the backpannel attached, but surprisingly it is actually pretty secure as it is. If you plan to put an MAP or Hydro pack on their I would either use Zip Ties or 550 Cord to keep it attached to the RRV but if you dont plan on putting anything their, it holds up just fine.

PICT0004.jpg

Thats what it will look like with the extra Elastic Bands on the rear pannel. But where we run into the problem is when it comes to putting it on. Now it fits very comfortably, but to keep it secure around your waist, your gonna need to either modify it OR do something similar to what the Rangers do with their RRV's and run the lower strap across the back of the backpannel and over the top of their cummerbund like in this photo.

picture20019lm8.jpg

Now if you do it this way, it wont be hard to keep the back pannel to the RRV. Just make sure that you keep the lower strap of the RRV Zip Tied to the FAPC backpannel.

PICT0003-1.jpg

Or you can cut into the strap of the FAPC Backpannel and attach the lower clip to the cut strap to connect to the RRV. Because in the photo above, you can see the difference in clip sizes. The Tan is EIs and the Black is DBT's.

PICT0005.jpg

And this is how again it would look all together. Now if you have everything like I do, it would actually be a pretty decent alternative to the RRV backpannel as you have everything right their to use. My main problem with it is that I have a small FAPC so the back peice is well, a little smaller then I would like it.

So I hope this helps.

DBT.jpg

EDIT: Heres what it looks like with the DBT Clips off and the bottom strap of the RRV Zip Tied to the back pannel. Sorry for the mess in the pic, we are remodeling our bathroom.

Archived