TM P226 mag release swap

seaweasel

I've been trying to swap the mag release on my P226 to the right hand side as I'm left handed and could do with a bit of help. I've got exploded diagrams for it and have so far taken off the slide, grips and the small plastic cover on the opposite side of the mag release but I'm not sure how to swap the button round. Any suggestions would be appreciated, cheers.

That's great, thanks Romulus, I've been looking for a guide like that. I've got the mag release swapped and am in the process of putting the whole thing back together. Bit fiddly getting the hammer group back but it's getting late, shall continue tomorrow!

I believe that it is covered in this guide.

Guide

If you have more questions after looking at that let us know.

Hmm a long article for just a few steps.

-Remove the magazine and slide.

-Remove the grips. Be careful not to lose the decocker spring. (Note that the spring does not go into the conspicuous hole in the sheet metal.)

-Remove the metal part covering the right side of the mag catch.

-Locate a plastic tab inside the magwell (looking from the top) and pull it out. It has a spring with a funny shape on it.

-Drop the mag catch out, and insert the other way around.

-Reverse the funny spring on the plastic tab, and insert into the magwell to lock the mag catch in place.

-Install the metal cover on the left side.

-Assemble the rest just like you took them apart.

Cheers,

Sale

*Not to thread jack* But while we're on the topic of magazine catchs for P226's, does anyone know where to find an extra assembly? I have a KJW P226 in parts right now, all it is missing is the magazine catch assembly and I can get it all back togeather working properly, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help so far however I'm going to have to resurrect this thread for a bit! After a couple of attempts, I've finally managed to get everything put back together however things aren't working quite as they should be.

• The mag release works from the other side (woo!)
  • With no mag, the slide will pull the hammer back when cocked, however the trigger won't release it (the decocker seems to work)
  • With a mag, the slide will lock and pull the hammer back, after releasing the slide the trigger still won't release the hammer (again, decocking seems fine)

Everything seems to be back in place (I don't have any parts left over!) however there's obviously something not quite right. The biggest trouble I had was fitting the trigger and hammer groups back in the right place, even though I thought I had it right this time, I'm guessing the problems there somewhere. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, if any photos or details of what I've done are needed, let me know.

Thanks again, at least by the time I've got this done I'll have a much better idea about how it works!

Archived