A&K M249 Para Wiring

Dickens

Hi guys, just a bit of help needed.

Im buying an A&K m249 para off a friend but due to few wiring problems we are going to re wire it to make sure it works perfectly. First question is i am going to be using a 9.6v battery but what AWG wire should i use? My friend thinks 18AWG to re wire the gearbox but i just wanted to check on here for other advice.

Second question is would it be safe to wire up the gear box without the in line fuse?

And finally as well as the wiring im buying some mini tamiya connecters all from Component shop (www.component-shop.co.uk) but would there tamiya connecters come with the crimp connecters that go inside the tamiya connecter?

Any help would be appriciated.

Cheers.

IMO 16 awg is the best the space is just perfect to fit 16 awg wires in with no problem

EDIT:

Second question is would it be safe to wire up the gear box without the in line fuse?

IMO, yes its 100% safe i have been running a 12v batt with no fuse for about a year now and have not ran into any real problems other relating to wiring

3RD:

IMO go with deans they are cheap and will boost your ROF

component shop tamiya connectors come with all you need. had a few from them myself and include the crimps that you just pop through the plastic once crimped to wire. there batteries aint bad either.

hope that helps.

my a&k m249 ran fine on a 9.6 without any wiring mods.

I wouldn't fit Tamiya plugs if you're re-wiring it, that'd be like tuning a Superbike engine and then putting a moped exhaust on it :P

Deans are the way to go and only cost a few pennies more (£1.50 a pair).

16 or even 14AWG High temperature silicon cable, no fuse, solder the wires directly to the motor connectors and consider fitting a MOSFET, otherwise your trigger microswitch won't last too long.

If you can solder and follow a simple wiring diagram, you can fit a MOSFET.

I'll cost you around £6 in parts (1 MOSFET & 2 resistors).

If you do all that you could use an 8.4V pack and get the same (if not slightly better) performance than with a 9.6V running through Tamiyas.

ROF, trigger response and battery life will all improve noticeably.

Run the wiring wherever it'll fit, you can run one over and one under the gearbox, they don't need to run together.

Archived