Metric to Imperial

Apex

i wont do the math but the way to preform the conversion is to put it into a fraction and simplify the fraction.

so, when you read ".23622" you read it as "twenty-three thousand six hundred and twenty-two hundred thousandths"

the fraction is exactly that:

23,622/100,000

now, since i haven't done any math in 2 years, or for that matter, simplified a fraction in 5 or so years. i cant remember how to simplify fractions...

its almost a quarter inch.

so, while you were in school they only taught with the metric system? in high school i learned both, but mostly imperial of course.

blah, i remembered. its a rather inplesant fraction, but its:

11,811/50,000

The Badger works at a hardware store in the industrial section (nuts and bolts) The 1/4 is a little bit larger but depending on the circumstance can be made to fit (brute force) Most places will not carry anything only a little larger, the next common size down would be a 12 (no idea what the 12 means) which according to this website http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/screwsize.htm should work, The Badger's experience in the field says differently however.

righty.... here's going off my socket rail...

you'll understand the 4,5,6.....12,13,14mm type progressions.

Imperial (AF) goes thus...

3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 Now I'll try and get the metric equivalents underneath....

4mm, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13 (ish)..... obviously all the metric sizes are a bit ish. 1/2" is actually 12.52mm

1" (inch) is equal to 25.4mm

If any of you have ever owned an old Mini (car) then you'll know the need for the old 3/8-1/2 spanner combo (now replaced with 10mm-13mm).

hope that helps.

Archived