Good MP3 player?

snowman

I bought a sansa fuze.

8gb built in, microsd slot, FM radio, some video functionality and it does not require any specific software, it acts like a flash drive when you plug it in. Charges via USB too.

I was lucky enough to get the 8gb model on offer for £50.

• 2 weeks later...

Settled on a 4GB Cowon iaudio 7 in the end.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2...Audio-7-4GB-/p1

Although many reviews moan about the menu system, I was swayed by the small(ish) size and the generally very positive comments on the sound quality (the Trusted Review remarks are quite negative compared to most in this respect)

Certainly sounds good - Now to see if it last more than 3 months...

Cheers.

I know you've stated you dont want an ipod but for less than the £110 price tag of that one you can pick up an ipod nano 3rd gen.

I've had the 3rd since it was launched and never had a problem with it.

You can also get the 2nd gen for even less on ebay and I use one of those at work and leave it playing all day without any problems. I've even left it there over night still playing and when I've got in the next day there has been enough battery to last until the end of shift.

Settled on a 4GB Cowon iaudio 7 in the end.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2...Audio-7-4GB-/p1

Although many reviews moan about the menu system, I was swayed by the small(ish) size and the generally very positive comments on the sound quality (the Trusted Review remarks are quite negative compared to most in this respect)

Certainly sounds good - Now to see if it last more than 3 months...

Cheers.

COWON generally makes good quality products. I dropped my Q5W on to the ground. At first I thought it was dead (dented corners and everything), but I only needed to reconnect the ZIF HDD cable. Works. And the X5 I've had was abused daily. Still works. Not to mention the awesome sound quality, and EQ options.

I know you've stated you dont want an ipod but for less than the £110 price tag of that one you can pick up an ipod nano 3rd gen.

I've had the 3rd since it was launched and never had a problem with it.

You can also get the 2nd gen for even less on ebay and I use one of those at work and leave it playing all day without any problems. I've even left it there over night still playing and when I've got in the next day there has been enough battery to last until the end of shift.

Yeah, I'm sure part of the reason you hear so many bad reports about iPods is because there are so many - Lots of colleagues have them and most have had no problems.

The cost and the need to use the iTunes software (instead of drag n drop) to get tracks on the player are two of the factors I also had against the iPods - I only paid £60 for the Cowon - nothing like the price of a similarly sized iPod with the features I wanted.

I also found it a better size for me, although I don't think the screen's as big as the Nano, but I didn't want something to play Movies on - I have a PSP if I feel the urge to do that.

Compared to my daughter's Stone (generally reviewed as having good sound for its size) the iaudio is fantastic in terms of sound quality and, although I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile (whatever that is!), I found the iPod's disappointing when I listened in the Apple store (although I hear the included headphones are not good on iPods so some of it may be down to that).

I'll post back if it breaks down! :(

Cheers.

Archived