Preparation for Spraying Rifle?

R-KivE

I am planning to spray my rifle this weekend and would like some to know a few things,

My gun is a JG m4a1 and mostly plastic. The paints I will use are going to be matte and made up at a spray shop so I can get the exact match of colours I want. Will I need to sand down the gun? add primer etc? Or will it be fine just wiping down and spraying straight on?

As much info as possible please.

When I used to paint mine, I would wipe them down to clean them of any dust etc. Then I would tape off with the blue painters tape whatever I didn't want to spray. Then I used a non-sandable primer (used sandable once and it made the gun feel rough) and primered the whole gun. Let it sit for an hour or two then applied my base coat after that. Hope this helps, remember take your time with short bursts of spray. If you rush it, the paint will run and it will look like a messy paint job.

I agree with the above.

When i painted my M14 stock, i basically sanded it down with very fine paper, to literally just take the gloss off. Then i wiped the whole thing down with meths, to ensure there was no grease or such like. I then proceeded to prime the it all lightly, before i went on to build up gradually the effect i wanted using the various colours. It took a while, but i got good results.

I'm sure there is a thread on here that has a great deal of info on it :) So do a wee search.

I just used alcohol to wipe down my guns a little if they're greasy. Otherwise just wiped them down with a lint free cloth, sprayed with a single layer of paint (as a base layer) then hit it up. Though that was using krylon.

With cam jobs it didn't seem totally necessary to have completely painted gats so a full base coat kinda served as a primer as well.

One thing I always do before painting is to do a test run on the pattern. Sometimes a pattern looks great in your mind, but when you put it to the gun it looks horrible. So I always spray paint something expendable/reusable like cardboard or a piece of PVC pipe. That way if something looks off, I can make adjustments before realizing it half-way through a paint job.

Archived