Anyone familiar with the Star FNC Full/Shorty?

R-KivE

I am interested in a Star FNC for my Bday next month and was wondering which one to get.

What is the length different between the full and shorty?

Is it just the barrel length that is different?

What benefits are there with a longer barrel? range? accuracy?

Also does anyone know what to pay for one? Cheapest Iv found is GBP 220.00 without battery.

Thanks

As the actress said to the bishop.....

About 2 inches.

I just picked up an FNC Shorty for a bit less than 300 US after shipping and it's a pretty innovative system. Sealed Gearbox/Hopup, you can change the spring without opening the box, true mechanical 3 round burst. The only thing so far that I'm not completely happy with is the bolt handle works itself loose pretty quick and it's a royal pain in the rear to get the barrel swapped out for a tightbore the first time you try it. That and the hinge on the buttstock needs lube worse than a rusty hinge. Give it some white lithium (or a quick squirt of your super high tech performance moly teflon grease) and work it around a bit *giggity* and it'll smooth out.

hi,

picked up the "long" type for 239 Euros. I am pleased with it, the extrenal quality is exceptional, but sometimes the burst get stuck and I have to "reset" the gun. Because of the "HEAT-style-factor" I would buy the shorty next time B)

Lance

look here for a videoreview:

Cool thanks for the info guys,

Is the gun quite heavy being full metal?

Also does anyone know if there are any other manufacturers of FNC's?

Ive heard there is a VFC model and maybe ICS one but can't find info.

I own two.

A full size and a used to be Shorty that is now a PDW length gun.

I LOVE my FNC's.

The gun is about 10 lbs give or take - so yes it is heavy, but not overly. No one else currently makes FNC AEG's, but there are at least 1 maybe 2 classic air powered models.

Just get the STAR/Ares and go to town - IMO best AEG ever.

Do ARES guns still have XYT gears (not to say there's anything wrong with them) and the funny piston that has a thin first tooth? Also, how well is the front set supported, as from the pictures is seems that they lack an outer barrel and that is never a good thing when it comes to durability.

The upper receiver is stamped steel, right? How thick and durable is the alloy lower?

Sorry, but planning on getting one of these too, and "am best gnu" just aint enough to satisfy my overly critical taste. :)

I have a 9.6 nunchuck in my FNCQB and a 9.6 crane type in my full size.

I don't really care what internals it has - I have never needed to know or to even care. Bullitproof for nearly 3 years at 380 FPS is good enough for me.

The inner barrel is supported in multiple places, so you don't have to worry about that ("outer barrel" is present inside the front end of the gun, on both sides of the front sight block).

The upper is indeed stamped steel and very strong. The lower is also VERY strong. There arn't too many airsoft guns I know of that can be used to punch holes in walls - and both of mine have done this with no damage at all.

I have a 9.6 nunchuck in my FNCQB and a 9.6 crane type in my full size.

I don't really care what internals it has - I have never needed to know or to even care. Bullitproof for nearly 3 years at 380 FPS is good enough for me.

The inner barrel is supported in multiple places, so you don't have to worry about that ("outer barrel" is present inside the front end of the gun, on both sides of the front sight block).

The upper is indeed stamped steel and very strong. The lower is also VERY strong. There arn't too many airsoft guns I know of that can be used to punch holes in walls - and both of mine have done this with no damage at all.

Cool thanks,

The limit for full auto at my site is 350fps, what would be the best way to drop it to that?

The long will be more accurate at range - but I never felt "outranged" with my shorty (except by a teammate with an upgraded marui M14 tightbore shooting just over 400).

Also - to change the velocity it is as easy as pushing out 3 pins removing the motore plate screw and pushing the gearbox out of the lower reciever and using the quick change spring guide. All said and done you could do it in about 5 mins tops.

thanks,,

I noticed on this website they state that the 3 round burst is disconnected due to reliability problems.

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=1708

Is it that much of an issue that a retailer has to disconnect it?

Also can anyone tell me which mags are best for the FNC? Ive heard high caps dont feed well.

...As i said before, it happen sometimes, I think only in 2% of using the burst, and solving is so easy! There is absolutely no need to "disconnect" the burst, what ever disconnect means here.

In my FNC all of my diffrent M4-Mags works well from hero arms and battleaxe electric double magazines over dboys C-Mag to all of diffrent types of ACM lowcaps and midcaps, some of them fit a little tight, but that's ok.

Lance

...the easiest way is to do it by spring, because you can change it without opening the gearbox, as it was said also here in the thread.

Lance

Ok, can you please give me a link to the correct spring to fit the FNC and drop it to 350fps?

Thanks

Yeah - the "Magic FNC" button is what resets the gearbox if you have a 3 round "jam." The button can be accessed on the bottom of the receiver behind and slightly to the side of the pistol grip. Use a small screwdriver or allen wrench and push into the hole and all is well again. I have only had this happen once in 2 years of use. 2 seconds later it was fixed.

Neither of my FNC's like high caps, but they like every sort of low/mid that I have tried. The Magpul Pmags work great too.

Well, the setup with the hopup is kind of funky. I kept wanting to just slide the reciever off, but the hopup didn't allow it. I had to very carefully lower the inner barrel until I got clearance.

Hell, I was probably doing it wrong. I just never found anything telling me the RIGHT way to do it.

Archived