Throat mic on a budget

chownsy

If u're willing to stretch the budget out by another 16 quid, you could get an IASUS NT3.

I did a review of it awhile back on arnies. Heres the link:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/...2/cat/33/page/1

Edit: ok my pricing was correct at the time of purchase. It was actually USD86 shipped when I got it in July 2008 which converted to 46 quid. It seems the pound has weakened against the USD so you would possibly have to pay about 60 quid for it now. So that possibly falls foul of yr budget criteria.

Adiventure: My link is my review of the IASUS NT3. Hope that helps. I'd somehow missed seeing this bit in yr earlier post: "I've been considering buying their NT3 to see how that fares with my new "quality" radio, but I have yet to see any quality reviews of it online."

I must say, I think I got lucky with a cheap no-brand throat mic off ebay. It seems okay for general use. I've never had anybody say they can't understand what I'm saying on it although I wouldn't try to whisper into it and I'd never use it when sniping.

My thoughts would be as follows...

Firstly, unless you are able to modify the mic for yourself, the first thing you need to do is find out what choices are available to suit YOUR radio. There's no point picking out the ideal mic if, in the end, they only make it to suit Motorola radios and you have a Kenwood plug on yours.

The simplest thing useful for sniping would be a standard walkie-talkie used with an earpiece.

You hear through the earpiece and speak into the built-in microphone when you want to. Clip the radio to the lapel of your jacket and you're all set.

Alternatively, take a look at the Secret-Service or FBI style mic/earpiece gizmos which use a mic on a wrist strap.

Obviously this'd mean you need to move your wrist to your mouth to speak but I reckon that'd be okay for sniping.

guess i'm one of the lucky ones who get along great with an Iasus. i got one of the regular models, with the lapel PTT, bu i've modified it with an extra PTT that is on one of the index of my left hand that i activate with my thumb, via a cable worn inside my left sleeve. I've had no trouble getting understood, and i tend to use comms alot, probably being skinny and with a long neck helps.

Only real problem i've had so far is with it moving out of position in the heat of combat, that's when i get the "no joy" over the comms from sq mates.

I guess I must have a non-throat-mic-compatible-voice. :D

For those of you like me, go for a lapel mounted mic. Less hassle than a throaty & you can even whisper, if you must.

I also found the throaty was a pain, getting in the way of other kit, like gun slings & any close fitting clothing like ski masks etc.

Greg.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived