HEllo All. Quick question....

Delta5Actual

My name is Mike and I am from Ohio. This is sort of an introduction and a question all rolled into one. If this is inappropriate, I apologize in advance. I have been a paintball player for 20 years and I started to miss the mil-sim aspect of it all. Got into airsoft last year and love it. My main reason for writing today is to ask about etiquette with patches and uniforms. I want to buy a L85A2. I want to put together a complete British infantryman uniform (DPM camo, etc.) to go with this rifle. My main concern is offending any one that actually wears this uniform. Would it be viewed as an offense for a Yank like me to wear this to play in. Now, I'm 16 years military myself, so I know how to conduct myself and how to not do any thing that disgraces the uniform. Let me clear up that fear before I start. I will work to make sure the uniform is complete, correct, and worn appropriately. Men and women are fighting and dying wearing this uniform and I in no way at all want to take away from that. I spent a week at sea onboard the HMS Newcastle while in the Navy and cross trained with a British Yeomary while in the Army(Yeah!, I've been in a lot of services!). I am doing this to be a bit different as well as to show som respect to those that I have served with. Just wanted to run this by those that would actually know a bit more about it(the forum guys here in the States sent me to you all with this question!). Thanks for your time and your input on this matter.

No more offensive than when I wore my US 18th Airborne Engineers BDUs or the bloke I know who wears original modern russian uniform badged up :) Very few servicemen get funny about people wearing pukka kit. A few will, but not many. If any old chav can buy a surplus uniform item and wear it in the street, I don't see the problem with anyone who understands its significance wearing it for skirmishing.

While I have no clue what a "pukka kit" is, I thank you for your input. A lot of guys here in the States get real touchy about uniforms and go by the "If you didn't earn it, you don't wear it" mentality. I just didn't want to step on any toes and be out of line with any one. Now, the real question then becomes, "where do I go to find the odds and ends stuff for the uniform and is there a military primer for telling me where it all goes??" You know, this patch goes on this shoulder and this crest goes on this part of the beret kind of thing. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, i think many serving british military personnel would much prefer to see a serious skirmisher such as yourself, paying full attention and respect to the kit wearing it, as opposed to some 14 year old chav. i would say go for it, do yourself proud. as far as a sort of manual goes, i would look in the gear section found in the main discussion thread as a place to start.

And welcome to arnies by the way :D

Archived