Systema motor just died on me

Wutang

So I had a Systema Magnum that has been running fine for me for over a year. About a week ago I was upgrading my m4 with a G&P 8mm gearbox and a PDI 170% spring and when I finished the mechbox work, I put the motor inside to test. The motor was rotating very weakly, really not even doing a full rotation, just twitching there. I tested it outside the gun and one time the motor got so hot it nearly burned me. I also had to pull the trigger really far back to r=even get a response. Is this motor finished or is this salvageable? Thanks.

I don't suppose you can put the motor on a vise grip and connect the leads from a battery to see if it turns ok? Definately recommend a table vise or soemthing similar as without any support, you can see that motor do a flip. I had a very similar problem with my turbo motor in one of my SAWs. Everytime the stock was attached, the motor would vibrate but never turn. When I unhinged the stock, the motor would turn again. It turns out my problem in this case was that the motor adjustment screw wasn't engaged enough and everytime the stock hit the back of the gearbox, it either shorted the motor out by making contact or the motor was being squished.. I'm not saying this is exaclty your problem but try to test the motor outside of the gun. I have a male deams wired to 2 spade connectors just for this purpose.

If the motor bell has shorted, then IIRC you've likely blown a winding. If so, the motor is more or less junk.

Next time, I recommend a motor that's not overpriced with a hideous design flaw that even Chinese clone companies can correct for fractions of a penny, but systema refuse to give a damn about.

G&P make a comparable motor for a lot less, as do quite a lot of other companies nowadays.

Well, that's cool, but doesn't fix the fact that the aluminium end bell is an incredible design flaw, so this will just happen again.... =/

Have you tried putting those washer on the screws like Gandolf did? His report was that it raised the breakdown voltage from 24v to 750v (Which is really hard for a spike to reach up to). I can also report this worked for me.

Although got to admit systema QC is starting to bug me. G&P are almost as good (seem like always 1 to 2 round per second slower compared to systema's motor.

Although got to admit systema QC is starting to bug me. G&P are almost as good (seem like always 1 to 2 round per second slower compared to systema's motor.

Have you tried the G&P M160's? They are the G&P equivalent of the Magnum with a much better pinion gear and it's not likely to blow up after moderate use. My M160 gives Magnum type performance, I have compared it directly in the same exact gun (Which is shooting 500 with a .25 and fully automatic) and the ROF was near identical (The Magnum was possibly 1 round faster, but that is at the maximum). I love my G&P M160, you save 30 dollars and get almost exact performance a Magnum would give without having to stress about your motor giving out at the next skirmish.

No doubt I gatta agree with you on the G&P but the deal is I own a magnum before I knew about G&P >.> Its a good motor but doesn't work out of the box but with a few mods, its simply the best motor although I gatta hand it to you and say the G&P is more worth it and its more reliable :o

Archived