TM VSR getting it to 375 fps

AllGunzblazin

hey im getting a TM VSR soon. and i would let to increase the fps/accurcy. I saw this on a forum

[~375 FPS]

-Laylax PSS10 110 Spring

-Laylax Prometheus 6.03 mm Tightbore (430 mm for Pro and Real Shock versions)

-Laylax Prometheus 6.03 mm Tightbore (303 mm for G-Spec version)

are these only two upgrades what i would only need to get it to 375fps without it risk of breaking. The costs of this is the barrel =£50 and spring=£13

If not how much would u expect it to run with a laylax pss10 100 spring and tight bore.

cheers! sorry if this has been said i searched =)

hey im getting a TM VSR soon. and i would let to increase the fps/accurcy. I saw this on a forum

[~375 FPS]

-Laylax PSS10 110 Spring

-Laylax Prometheus 6.03 mm Tightbore (430 mm for Pro and Real Shock versions)

are these only two upgrades what i would only need to get it to 375fps without it risk of breaking. The costs of this is the barrel =£50 and spring=£13

Er, you are right.

Despite what the nay-sayers think.

I've been running a vsr at around 400fps for over a year & about 10,000 (a lot for a vsr) shots, for plinking in the garden.

This gun sort of started as a laugh, in the quest for a silent, accurate garden gun that I could use at any time without disturbing the neighbors. & a way to use up, a few of the stock vsr parts I had laying around. The plastic, stock cylinder parts are much quieter than their metal, 'high power', counterparts.

The trigger unit, piston, spring guide & cylinder are stock & showing no signs of damage.

It has had various changes & is used as the base for any 'mad' experiments or ideas I have.

With the stock spring, I got it up to 350fps, just by sealing the hop rubber to a 480mm x 6.03mm lalax barrel.

Removing the air break &/or tapering the back of the cylinder head will get you about another 10 - 15 fps. Boring the nozzle out to 4.5mm, another 5fps. But this will start to make the mech noticeably more noisy.

Using this set up, you could expect between 380 & 415 fps with an M100 spring, if you get it right.

I am currently chronoing 385fps with an M100, stock cylinder set, Lalax aeg conversion hop unit with a 535mm x 6.03mm Mad Bull AEG barrel. The cylinder is short stroked by 10mm which robs about 5fps but makes it even quieter.

So, there you have it, 375 from an M100, with stock parts will be fine, as long as you match it with a decent quality (430mm +) barrel. Exactly as you thought. A 110 should guarantee exceeding your target figure, without breaking any parts.

BTW, the longer barrels do not give any additional accuracy but they help to maximize the cylinder's potential, reducing muzzle noise & increasing fps. I very much doubt that you would get over 350fps with an M100, using the stock 303mm g-spec barrel. However, give it a try, you may be surprised!

Greg.

thx any more advice/opinions? also how hard is it to install barrels? and springs? and how easy is it to to these mods your talking about

easy to install a barrel, just be careful around the hop unit but i have a guide on the edgi 6.01mm barrel review on my website.

then the spring is easy to install too. will have a guide to that soon too hopefully.

soon will have a full strip down guide done for a vsr.

The vsr is a very easy gun to strip so once you look at a few videos you should be able to do it easily. As for sealing the hop, that simply consists of wrapping some PTFE tape around where the barrel and hop rubber meet (for the PTFE Seal method at least). Watch some videos, there are plenty around, it should be easy after that so you shouldn't worry.

thx any more advice/opinions? also how hard is it to install barrels? and springs? and how easy is it to to these mods your talking about

Well there is nothing I mention that I haven't done my self in my shed with the normal selection of hand held power tools, a set of alen keys & a few screw drivers.

To strip a vsr to the point where you can change barrels & springs etc. takes minutes, a cross head driver & a 3mm alen key.

Extending the inner barrel through a g-spec needs an 8.5mm drill bit.

A 3mm drill bit is required to remove the locking pin on the cylinder head, once that is done it's plain sailing.

I reckon I could do a spring & barrel change on a stock g-spec (including the drilling & reassembly) in less than half an hour. That would include unlocking the shed & putting the tools back.

I promise it ain't rocket science.

Greg

No you'll be fine, just watch a vid before you do it ;)

I reckon I could do a spring & barrel change on a stock g-spec (including the drilling & reassembly) in less than half an hour. That would include unlocking the shed & putting the tools back.

Maybe we should have an Arnies' Vsr stripping race :D And we can each put a video on youtube to prove it :P Aaaah the results of boredom.

And we can each put a video on youtube to prove it :P Aaaah the results of boredom.

I like your thinking. :D

Then there would be the claims of video trickery etc. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I reckon I could get the spring, hop rubber & trigger sear out in less than 5 minutes,,,,,,,,,blind-fold,,,,,,,,,,in the snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,naked,,,,,,,,,,,,,wearing boxing gloves & a fedora, smoking a big fat Cuban. :huh:

Video THAT & stick it on U-tubbey! :rofl:

Greg.

Seriously though, I reckon I could get the spring, hop rubber & trigger sear out in less than 5 minutes,,,,,,,,,blind-fold,,,,,,,,,,in the snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,naked,,,,,,,,,,,,,wearing boxing gloves & a fedora, smoking a big fat Cuban. :huh:

Video THAT & stick it on U-tubbey! :rofl:

Greg.

I feel 'Car Crash Syndrome' coming on......Would like to have a look see, but would turn my head at the grusome bits :P

The only additional advice I can offer is to watch out for the mag release button bits when you take it apart. They get me every time :D They're quite small and,as such, easy to lose.

Ah, now, someone came up with a really good tip about gluing something in place there so that they don't pop out. Don't remember what it was exactly, but it made perfect sense at the time.

I don't have the problem myself, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

OK digging up this old thread. Basicly im going to buy the TM VSR very soon. I want Around 370 to 400fps. What upgradees will i need for this. My cousin who has a vsr says the stock parts are to weak and will brake if i add a 6.03 barrel and new spring. So what parts would be needed. and how easy are they to install for someone who hasnt upgrade a gun before. i just dont want the gun breaking :( list and links would be great

sorry about this. :)

No apologies required.

May I direct you to my posts #2 & 6. They kinda say it all & will save me re-typing.

Ask your cousin if he has actually done this (like I have) or if he is just going on hear-say?

Cheers. ;)

Greg.

cheers greg! :P . yeah my cousin hasnt actaully done this yet. he thinks because zeroone say for 400fps you need a 115 upgrade from them they are right. i have two option here. as im not very technical. Buy laylax 6.03 barrel and 110 spring and slap that in whihc be easy. Or do your method. Sealing the hop up rubber to the barrel seems good. do you just use a bit of tape? and you just need a 6.03 barrel :P?

sealing the hop rubber to the inner barrel is usually done by wrapping it with PTFE tape (plumbers or teflon tape very thin slippery white sealing tape)

but I have had good results following a suggestion from another forum (I think) of "whipping" the hop rubber on with fine thread or

dental floss.

reduces air leakage to virtually nil.

Jim

sealing the hop rubber to the inner barrel is usually done by wrapping it with PTFE tape (plumbers or teflon tape very thin slippery white sealing tape)

but I have had good results following a suggestion from another forum (I think) of "whipping" the hop rubber on with fine thread or

dental floss.

reduces air leakage to virtually nil.

Jim

I first posted the 'whip thing' a good few years ago on 'ASCOCK', where it was basically ignored. I have mentioned it on arnies a few times, describing details. It has been well received here & even better, 'Banjo' was kind enough to post a picture of his efforts in the VSR stickie (#3054) which makes the idea a lot easier to understand.

If you get it right, you can eliminate air loss between the barrel & the hop rubber. Depending on the spring you will see gains upto 70fps over an unsealed system.

Somewhere between 20 & 5 extra fps over a teflon tape job, depending how good your teflon was & how good your 'whipping' is. ;)

Greg.

yeah what i think im going to do is buy the VSR and Laylax 6.03 tightbore and some how seal the tightbore to the hop up rubber? sound good. i just want a bit of a fps boost really.

Just to confirm, slap in a 430 tight bore, seal it to the hop rubber, add an M100 spring.

That's it.

This will give you around (& possibly well over) the 375 you originally requested. In my experience, the stock parts are reliable at this level.

Cost is minimal, spring + barrel. Accuracy will be improved, as will range. Use Guarder .28 hpms, £10/3500 from Fire Support. Amaze your friends with regular 60m kills. :D

Get stuck in. ;)

Greg.

I'm getting 60m kills from my 350 fps visser, 6.04 x 450mm barrel, nineball(whipped both ends), standard spring with 11mm spacer, using Guarder .28s :D

Picy to save searching

A098.jpg

To do the rear I packed the end to prevent it collapsing, cut a small section out of the side tag and then whipped away.... I then used Mitre Bond to set it in place ;)

I'm getting 60m kills from my 350 fps visser, 6.04 x 450mm barrel, nineball(whipped both ends), standard spring with 11mm spacer, using Guarder .28s :D

Picy to save searching

To do the rear I packed the end to prevent it collapsing, cut a small section out of the side tag and then whipped away.... I then used Mitre Bond to set it in place ;)

Thank you for that Banj.

Could you also include any other mods for the OP. Ie, is this on a stock cylinder & trigger set? If so, how long has it lasted so far & are there any signs of wear?

Thanks,

Greg.

Sure.....

Stock, but ported, cylinder head

Stock, but volume matched to barrel, cylinder

PSS10 piston fitted with stock 'O' ring

Stock trigger mech fitted with PSS10 sears.

Stock Outer barrel and reciever

All used to be fitted to an L96 stock, but is now back in my Hybrid CA M24/M40A1 stock shooting at just shy of 500 fps and all ready for 'The Rock' on August bank holiday :D

No unusual signs of wear, especially considering it does spend half of its life with a 150 spring in it!

Archived