G&P M4A1, marine edition

This is a short review of the G&P m4a1 marine edition aeg.

Where from:

I purchased the aeg from landwarriorairsoft earlier this week. Total cost was £215 including next day delivery. This is the best price in the UK at the moment and also the latest model. Landwarrior appear to be doing many other models too!

What you get:

It comes in the usual g&p brown box with the logo and what model it is printed on the top along with foam padding inside.

Inside the box you will find the aeg, one g&p 120rd metal mid-cap and a manual which includes the usual saftery and general functions/cleaning.

First impressions:

The g&p feels very solid out of the box and the finish is outstanding, probably the best i have seen. The plastic components (hand guard, pistol grip) are made from a lovely matte fibre typle plastic, the stock is a little shiny but still nicely finished and only a minimal amount of wobble as with all m4's!

All the metal parts are perfectly finished, the body has push in pins which are nice and secure although the front pin does allow the tinyest amount of movement between the upper and lower however this is so small i won't bother touching it.

The closest i have got to looking at the internals was changing the hop nub. To be honest i'm not planning on opening up the gearbox. It's an 8mm g&p gearbox, has a re-enforced shell, steel trigger post, metal cyclinder head and metal air nozzle with o-ring seal. The piston is the aftermarket white piston with 3 metal teeth along with the bearing vented piston head and metal bearing/bushing spring guide. The cylinder isn't the usual brass unit, it appears to have some kind of black coating. All this being run with a m120 motor.

The hop up is the new style g&p hop up with the black plastic parts, the knobs are nice and stiff yet very smooth so it should hold it's settings nicely. The hop rubber is a standard g&p rubber as is the barrel.

So far i have put 4-5 mid-caps through the gun. I changed the mini tamiya connector to an ec3 connector and i've been using a friends 11.1v 2200mah 20c li-po. On a full charge i'm getting 27-28rps at a consistent 365-370fps with the hop set.

I have ordered a 11.1v & 7.4v lipo to try. Chances are, i will go with the 7.4v and will hopefully get around 20-22rps with this which should be nice and reliable!

The hop rubber is the only part that lets the gun down slightly, it's quite a loose fit in the hop unit, so much so that the barrel can move slightly when fully assembled! A tightbore and aftermarket bucking will work wonders as there are slight inconsistencys when shooting.

Overall thoughts:

I'm very pleased with the aeg, the externals are lovely and the internals seem to be spot on out of the box! I purchased this hoping to use it at games without having to fiddle with it too much! I have ordered a guarder clear and hard bucking to try along with an scs nub which will hopefully create a better air seal and imporve accuracy. I will at some point fit a tightbore too.

Overall i'd reccomend this to anyone looking for a high quality m4a1 which is good to go out of the box.

I'll be updating this once i've played a few games with it and everything has bedded in nicely. This is being used for a magpul m4 project, the moe hand guard fits nicely, i have a moe stock, pistol grip and pts pmags on the way so hopefully these will all fit nicely too!

DSC_0002-3.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010-2.jpg

I love this AEG to (also bought from Landwarrior) the range is superb and has a great fire rate.The only thing i didnt like was the crane stock which is bloody horrible cheap plastic (now replaced).Not sure if its a problem with yours but mine was missing the hop-up spring i just replaced it with a spring from a biro.Also added TM bucking and Element H-Nub (clear).FPS out of the box was 322 but now settled at 345.Great AEG at a very good price

Edited by pvtcody
I love this AEG to (also bought from Landwarrior) the range is superb and has a great fire rate.The only thing i didnt like was the crane stock which is bloody horrible cheap plastic (now replaced).Not sure if its a problem with yours but mine was missing the hop-up spring i just replaced it with a spring from a biro.Also added TM bucking and Element H-Nub (clear).FPS out of the box was 322 but now settled at 345.Great AEG at a very good price

yep my hop up spring was missing too although it worked fine without one but i have also fitted a spare i had. The tm hop rubber has probably given you a better airseal hence the rise in fps!

I have many complaints about G&P M4's, but I've never understood dissing the cranestock. I have two; it's the same fiber they use everywhere else. Actually, it's my only airsoft part that's been overrun by a car, but I'm not proud of that accidental episode. :P

i cant believe thats 3 springs missing from hop units on these as mine was missing aswell !!!!!

From G&P:

I just checked with our engineerer and was told that spring MUST be included except M249. Would you mind to inform in details or a picture will be helpful.

Can you guys provide an image of the missing hop spring just to clarify it back to G&P? If you can, please forward it to info(at)landwarriorairsoft(dot)com with the heading G&P SPRING PHOTO.

Regards

Scott

LWA

How do the trades/paint feel? The M4A1 I had from G&P a dog's age ago basically stripped off every inch of paint about two days after the first match I took it to.

I've not played with it yet but it seems pretty good! The paint is a nice matte black and the trades are pretty bold which is cool. I have a game on Saturday so i'll let you know how it fares!

Hugh