Easy fit multi-socket ceiling light fixture

Punkypink

You mean, you have a light socket in the ceiling and you want to plug more bulbs into it?

Never seen anything like that, although you could probably make summat if you were desperate.

Funny thing, the wiring to your lights is probably pretty heavy-duty, good for at least 20 amps (2.5kw) or so but you need to check the capacity of your light switches.

Light switches are often only rated to 250w, which equates to 1 amp or (more simply) 2 and a half 100w light-bulbs.

Also, there's a good chance the light fixture is only designed to handle the power of one bulb.

Used to be that you could buy "extension leads" with a bayonet bulb fitting on one end so you could hook em up to a light socket.

Course, electrical fires used to be more common too. Coincidence?

If you can wire up an AEG you can probably fit a new ceiling light.

Most consist of a base-plate that you need to screw securely to the ceiling and then you hook the permanent wires into a terminal block attached to the plate.

There'll then be wires from the light, itself, which you hook to the terminal block and then the light will attach to the base-plate.

Top-tip: Hooking the wires from the light into the terminal block can be a PITA. Use a shoelace (or a length of tactical paracord) tied between the baseplate and the light to support the light while you hook up the wires.

Oh, and switch off the leccy at the fuse-box before fitting the lamp.

No need to shut off all the leccy but flip the breaker for the lights or pull the fuse.

That way the wall sockets will still be live and you can use a light plugged into a wall socket to see what you're doing.

To reitterate, if you fit a new, multi-bulb, ceiling light you MUST make sure that your light-switch is rated for the total power the new light needs.

The rating of the switch will be inside it somewhere. Undo the 2 screws that secure it to the wall, ease it forward and you'll see the rating stamped inside the switch somewhere.

Top tip #2: If the switch is stuck to the wall by old paint etc, go around it carefully with a knife or you'll rip the wallpaper when removing it.

If you need to replace the switch, get back to me cos there's more stuff you need to know but prattling on about it now might only create information overload.

You mean like this Punky:

129050498998382352.jpg

:D

I have seen them from time to time, might try Homebase or B&Q- they arent all that nice looking though ( when used singulaly ).

I'd suggest a better looking solution like argos sell, they have some very nice, easy to fit items with multiple aim-able bulbs. :)

Yea was looking for something easy fit because I live in a rental property and would like something I could take with me.

I'd prefer something that doesn't take up wall sockets however. We're running out of sockets despite each wall socket having 4 way extensions plugged into them already, and some are just a right pain in the bottom to access.

I'm using all those low energy energy-saving bulbs now, wasn't a problem back when I could buy 100W light bulbs. I think the ceiling fixture should be able to handle up to 3 energy saving lamps?

You mean like this Punky:

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2...98998382352.jpg

:D

I have seen them from time to time, might try Homebase or B&Q- they arent all that nice looking though ( when used singulaly ).

I'd suggest a better looking solution like argos sell, they have some very nice, easy to fit items with multiple aim-able bulbs. :)

YES LIKE THAT!!!

Archived