Faux AN/PVS

BFOUR

I got bored the other day and decided to make this. I had all parts/material in house so this builds cost was $0

ITs not great its not perfect but I like it.

As the title states its just a fake, for cosmetic purpose only. It has no function other than looks.

I used about 6 inches of of 1-1/2in PVC pipe and about 3 inches of 3in PVC pipe. I also used Plastic sheeting I picked up online for other hobby projects

The main technique here is plastic welding. After seeing Epyons KRISS I decided to try my hand at plastiwelding and I think now after months Ive got it down straight.

Simple. Cut the PVC to length, Slid one into the other.

m7xhc3.jpg

Sealed the PVC together using strips of plastic. Almsot like tig welding.

2ro6efa.jpg

RIS rail just for kicks, maybe a DR site on there? Im no longer using the mount thats showed, I have a Lar mount on the way.

2z3xxxk.jpg

Added the battery compartment. It will hold 2 AAs very tightly, Ill probably just use it for a fog wipe or some AAAs.

33adsw3.jpg

Top panels welded on all except the top one. It is held in place by 4 small screws. All other holes/gaps around the inch and a half PVC were filled in and closed up.

2ugf58j.jpg

Another view

98yn1c.jpg

Most of what you see there has been smoothed up or filled in. The top panel with the 4 screws I mentioned will be sprayed black and everything else except for the knob mount and RIS will be sprayed with rubber. Same stuff you spray/dip tool handles with.

Constructive criticism Is welcome by all means. Its not factory made. I used only a pair of tin snips, a sodiering iron, drill with various bits, and a dremel. So it is what it is.

Should be finished tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for viewing.

No, because its only based off of various AN?PVS models. Its more based off a PVS22 but I wont designate it as one.

Its basically done. Except I need to paint the top part and Im waiting on the mount and the scope cover.

Im starting another one soon but this one will have the internals of an ELCAN scope inside it. Im also waiting on a piece of green plexi glass. I have a glass shop next door that will cut it to size cheap for a bunch of these if I choose to make different ones. Heres a sneak.

The camera picks up alot of gauges that are almost invisible to the naked eye. But Im going to fill them all in with rubber later today.

sm9kef.jpg

Here the rubber looks rough but Im not worried about it, Inside here will go a rubber automotive gasket with a round piece of green plexiglass.

ztc6ch.jpg

First attempt at something like this so Im happy with it. Its mroe or less a prototype for me.

Looks good, all you need to add is those eyeclops night vision guts into it to make it work ;)

http://www.amazon.com/EyeClops-Vision-Infa...6456&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/EyeClops-Vision-Infr...6456&sr=8-1

pics of the insides of the V1 model:

http://picasaweb.google.com/morgellon/Proj...eat=directlink#

dimensions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lowmyst#p/u/3/F_io9RKwvlM

The V1 model seems easy to find and available in two packs, but as you could see, since there is an offset between the camera and LCD eyepiece, there is an alignment issue to be solved.

V2/ MW2 internals

The MW2 one looks like it uses a camera with a big LCD behind it, so it should provide the biggest/ clearest picture, and should eliminate alignment issues. Also, you could probably strap it in front of a red dot sight and have a cheap day-night optic. The only possible issue I could think of is that it may require quite a long tube to be able to see the LCD properly in a monocular set up.

1. Buy a cheap used one at swap meet, craigslist, etc

2. Disassemble, extract circuit board and eye piece, shove it into the PVC tube, cover lens and eye piece with Lexan, make appropriate cut outs for switches, IR LEDs, batteries, etc.

3. Test, adjust, water proof by using silicone caulk

4. mount to helmet

If you have the resources to do what I just described, please do it and post pics. I would love to see it done :)

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! :D

I saw a pair of V2 eyeclops NV at the swap meet for $30 yesterday, but decided against buying it since I needed to prioritize my school books and earth quake kit. <_<

I would love to see a pair made, and sent to me... :P

Edit:

I PM'ed the maker of the disassembly video of the V1, and he said the circuit board's outer diameter is about 2 inches, about 2.5 including the notch that attaches the wires to the eye piece. Guessing by the internals of the MW2 version, you will probably need to make a new housing, probably about 3 in OD to house the circuit board and LCD for the V2. Also, try using ABS pipes at Home Depot since they should be a bit stronger than PVC, and use non reflective flat black epoxy based paint on the inside and outside of the housing.

I was going to make a similar thing, after having the COD NVGs. I did try to but couldnt find a sufficient 12v power source that was small enough for the monitor.

car battery + wires + dump pouch. simples :P

O/P, very nice work. i like the way you havent copied real one, just did your own thing, yet it still looks authentic.

that is all. carry on!

Thanks. I like it for what it is right now, just some plastic thrown together haha. Not bad for a first try though and once I find the right blades for my darn scroll saw Ill be able to make more with better quality.

Ill post pics of it once I get the mount and scope cover.

• 1 month later...

Archived