Ares AW338 Custom Bolt Project

climber

I was getting tired of Ares' solution to the seal between the magazine and bolt. To much inconsistancy, and leaks.

After trying out a fuel hose as a solution, I came up with an even better idea:

th_05022010026.jpg

th_05022010027.jpg

th_05022010028.jpg

th_05022010038.jpg

th_05022010029.jpg

th_05022010030.jpg

th_05022010033.jpg

th_05022010034.jpg

th_05022010035.jpg

th_05022010036.jpg

This is the prototype unit, where I have milled out the bolt, and made a different interface out of steel, for the bolt to attach to.

This modification gives a consistant 580 fps w/ 0.20g +- 3 fps ( with the Cold Shot unit @ 130 psi) (495 fps , 4,55 j with Madbull 0.40g )

The gun is stock, exept for the mod, and hop-up bucking change.

Before this mod, I would be lucky to top 500 fps w/ 0.20g , with the Cold Shot unit. ( most shots in the 460-470 fps range)

More to come :)

I was getting tired of Ares' solution to the seal between the magazine and bolt. To much inconsistancy, and leaks.

After trying out a fuel hose as a solution, I came up with an even better idea:

pics

This is the prototype unit, where I have milled out the bolt, and made a different interface out of steel, for the bolt to attach to.

This modification gives a consistant 580 fps w/ 0.20g +- 3 fps ( with the Cold Shot unit @ 130 psi) (495 fps , 4,55 j with Madbull 0.40g )

The gun is stock, exept for the mod, and hop-up bucking change.

Before this mod, I would be lucky to top 500 fps w/ 0.20g , with the Cold Shot unit. ( most shots in the 460-470 fps range)

More to come :)

SUPER idea! I always thought that was the biggest problem with KJW and Tanaka design M700-s as well but could not find a damn solution to it. Congratz for trying and succeeding. You think it is anyway possible to do it with the Tanaka design as well? A lot harder for sure, more modifications required due to the design of the bolt.

Why didnt any aftermarket company make this years ago for the Tanaka design? It would have been a sure seller.

B.

i dont suppose you tok any pics of the build process? I always forget to do it but heres hoping.

awesome job too.

Sorry, forgot to take pictures when I was working:( typical me...

hope the chinese will clone this system, will make the world a better place;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a newb to gas snipers...

What did you exactly do?

It looks like you machined the feed nozzle farther down the shaft until the gas port can now have a cylinder over it that is a two side o-ring so that there is better seal?

If that's what it is, then wow...never would have thought of that. Good job.

Sorry I'm a newb to gas snipers...

What did you exactly do?

It looks like you machined the feed nozzle farther down the shaft until the gas port can now have a cylinder over it that is a two side o-ring so that there is better seal?

If that's what it is, then wow...never would have thought of that. Good job.

thank you mr.

thats pretty much what i did.. ;)

Looks cool, wouldn't have thought that this would have casued such a loss in power! Obv not.

What have you done at the connection between the bolt inlet hole and the mag exit hole on your collar?? Is there a third O ring there or did you just line them up?

Nice one,

Steve

• 9 months later...

I have to say that this is a fantastic Mod to the rifle.

I have the Well G96D and Im wondering if this mod will work on my gun as well. Im thinking it will, and Im thinking Im going to have to do this to my gun.

So, any chance your selling the magazine adapter?

They are impressive, if only for the size of the damn things blink.gif

I was given it to fix the bolt handle, which had come out of the bolt block (threads stripped).

The thread on the handle was badly machined, it looked like the last pass they'd made when cutting it was out by half the pitch, as the top of the threads were missing.

Didn't get a chance to try it as the mag leaked like a sieve.

I don't know if it was an ARES or STAR version though, is the STAR even out yet, and are there any others?

Archived