M249 Pintle Mount

Pkekyo-Nor

I'm currently in the planning stages for building two M249 pintle mounts, and will base them off this design:

H24-Mount-3.jpg

H24-Mount-1.jpg

H24-Mount-2.jpg

Planned features:

- Steel construction

- Sans ammo box rack

- Optimized for CA M249s

I would love it if anyone have stuff such as measurements or detailed reference photos, as I want this project to turn out as good as possible.

I only have the three photos posted above to work from, but I believe I have a decent understanding on how this stuff is set up to work, despite not being able to figure out how one would use the rear pin to secure the gun.

I started out with a photo of my M249 and did a quick sketch in photoshop:

P2275660%20mount.jpg

Red: Pintle

Green: Cradle

Blue: holes for screws/bolts and whatnot

Then I turned onto doing a cardboard mockup, in an attempt to quantify how big a sheet of steel I'll have to get, and as an attempt to find and work out any issues before starting actual production.

Right side:

P2275667.jpg

Bottom: 

P2275666.jpg

Left side:

P2275665.jpg

- And that's about as far as I've gotten as of now, I'll make a mockup of the pintle as well during the night or sometime in the morning.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Yeah, that's the site I snagged my photos off.

It doesn't give any insight in detail though, so I'd very much like as much proper info and photos as possible.

Thanks though

/EDIT:

Finished the pintle mockup.

It sure ain't pretty, but atleast it's proof of concept, right?

P2285668.jpg

P2285669.jpg

P2285670.jpg

/EDIT2:

I've been concerned about the rear of the mount, and the possibility of it dislocating itself from the MG, so I tried this:

P2285671.jpg

P2285672.jpg

In the production version, I'd do this with metal rings in the cradle assembly, and possibly a piece of chain, or maybe just a heavier weight of shock cord.

The rear half of the cradle assemble is normally attached to the front locking pin on the trigger guard assembly.

This is where the a T&E is attached when the gun is mouted on M2 tripod with a gooseneck pintle.

Having a single fixed point on the front trunion will be very loose. I would extended the lower tray of the cradle assembly to attach it to the hand guard locking pin. (just like the real one). But since it is an 249 airsoft magazine which is usually attached to the gun. You can stick the box mag into a ammo can and extend the feed spring to reach the gun.

Another option would be attaching the rear half of the cradle to the bottom rail.

///ed///

Yeah, but as an airsoft gun extending the mount further back really isn't a very good option, as detached mags... Well, they won't work well.

I have a coil of rather heavy weight shock cord laying around here, and think it should serve us well enough just to keep the rear of the cradle in place, it's not as the rear will be loadbearing.

Worst case scenario and it doesn't work, one could always just chop off the rear portion of the cradle entirely and have a single contact point up front.

Figured we'll be needing two sheets of 2-3mm thick 50cm * 50cm steel for this build, off to see if I can find a supplier in the morning.

Thanks for the info on the RS mount BigEd! It's greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress... Albeit small.

P3155693.jpg

The steel cost me 300NOK/34GBP/51USD, but it seems I bought twice as much as needed.

So there's room for cock-ups :) Or if I don't sod anything up, I might just make another two mounts and flog them to the highest bidder... :>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived