Lower face protection ?

raj_uk

What diameter do you used for the stamped steel for the eye protection.

I ask because i found a place that will sell the stuff in small quantities so i can convert a few pairs of previously useless goggles. Just never been to sure about alot of the specs that the goggle makers use.

I us the largest hole out the makers that I know of ,its 3mm .I often get asked about shattering bbs using a larger hole ,and to put it into perspective ,in 10 years I know of 2 people who have got bb bits in their eye using the mesh I use .Both brushed it out ,and carried on playing .I go for the larger hole because it works better in low light conditions ,but thats just personal preference .Anywhere between 1.5-3mm works imo .You want to be looking for mesh thats around a 1mm thick. The other thing is the open area ,40-50% is best. Also test it to destruction beyond your field limits to be sure.

Azulsky, being that you're in the US, why not just send the stuff to BitterEnd? He's inexpensive, uses high grade materials, and has done it hundreds of times. They're your eyes dude. When you've got the option, get a pro to do it.

His prices seem high for the lower end of the goggles.

The Richochet model(the folding pair) are $5 from Academy near me

I assume the mesh he gets in bulk so he does better than i could

So it might cost him $15 for a pair, so he makes way over 100% profit margin on those($40 for the pair)

Doesnt seem worth it on the lower end frames.

I would like to get a pair of SG1's from him as i would be a bit nervous working on that frame, i just dont have that kinda cheese for a pair yet.

Im not perfectly sold on lower face protection yet but im considering it as i like my teeth the way they are.

Never personally seen an injury to the teeth but my team mates have at past ops. Im not so sure how necessary it is for running around in the woods, when we mandate no-mesh eye protection and full face protection for cqb anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

So it might cost him $15 for a pair, so he makes way over 100% profit margin on those($40 for the pair)

But labor and expertise isn't free either. Skilled labor generally costs more than minimum wage from what I've seen. When you buy a set from him or have mesh installed by him in eye you supply, your paying for the assurance he's making something that will protect your eyes. But they're your eyes.

haha I bought a pair of those Richochet folding googles when I was over in Florida for a week on holiday from a Target or Wal-mart, was surprised to see them in there. Had some old mesh, 30 minutes on a dremel, some aradite, some hot glue - all done. Used them the other week - worked a treat.

yup the bitter end lower face mask will be your best option if you can afford it (i think its $50 us). it doesnt really interfere with resting your cheek on the stock and aiming down the sights, will be extremely tough, and will not make your face hot and stuffy.

it should also stay on your face quite well (ive noticed a lot of full face masks can be quite heavy and tend to move around and eventually fall down when youre running too much.)

the thinner fabric face protection such as half face balaclavas and shemaghs dont make a big difference when it comes to protection and simply takes away a bit of the sting. the thicker fabric ones can eventually chaff your face and lips because of the rough texture but can protect your teeth etc better.

also consider the climate in where you live, as fabric face protection may be nice and warm in colder climates while they are absolutely horrible in hot and humid places like hong kong.

yup the bitter end lower face mask will be your best option if you can afford it (i think its $50 us). it doesnt really interfere with resting your cheek on the stock and aiming down the sights, will be extremely tough, and will not make your face hot and stuffy.

it should also stay on your face quite well (ive noticed a lot of full face masks can be quite heavy and tend to move around and eventually fall down when youre running too much.)

the thinner fabric face protection such as half face balaclavas and shemaghs dont make a big difference when it comes to protection and simply takes away a bit of the sting. the thicker fabric ones can eventually chaff your face and lips because of the rough texture but can protect your teeth etc better.

also consider the climate in where you live, as fabric face protection may be nice and warm in colder climates while they are absolutely horrible in hot and humid places like hong kong.

I found BE's mask to be quite a weighty unforgiving peice of steel, to be secured to your face with a single elastic strap. Also not as well shaped, remoldable to the face ,or breathable as woven mesh type masks.

+1 for this option, I love mine and all my fellow team members either have one, or are considering one.

068.jpg

After seeing basho rock this face mask at sennybridge, i am now the proud owner of a bitter end lowerface mask, looking forward to trying it out. Quality is amazing and hopefully it will stop me from steaming up.

I wear both ess profile goggles and ess ice glases for airsoft depending on if im playing indoors cqb or outside battlesim type games.

The mask fits well with the ess ice glasses , however fittment with goggles is a little harder as it seem to make the goggle sit higher up on the bridge of my nose than i would like. I am sure once i start wearing this in game i can tweak the mask to get the best possible fit.

303q.th.jpg

300xn.th.jpg

301jt.th.jpg

304j.th.jpg

305q.th.jpg

306o.th.jpg

Archived