Getting pinned!

Bramptonboys

When you drop smoke on your own position you invite the guys attacking you to advance. Cant imagine the effectiveness of that 'tactic' versus a competent group.

You use smoke grenades for 'marking' and when assaulting(to conceal your advance). Dropping smoke on yourself is giving the opfor a freebie.

Typically when encountering the prospect you peel away before letting it get set in stone. If you are intent on duking it out then your best bet is flanking whether it be sneaking a few guys away during a volley of cover fire or having an external force come in and do it. Typically its never a win to fight it head on.

Cant say ive been on the bad end of this theoretical encounter but have been in shootouts where the enemy refused to budge. They simply became so occupied with shooting back that we snuck 2 guys far around and took them that way.

If you are simply getting ambushed alot then sometimes the fight goes to the guy set up better before the triggers get pulled.

As others have hinted at, the best thing to do to get yourself out of a pin, is to simply not get yourself into one. Knowing where you are at, the position you are in (Prone, Standing, Kneeling, etc) at that location and find ways to get out of quickily. Once you are pinned, your only option is to MOVE, and move like the dickens. The joy of airsoft is that there is a noticable lag time from when BB's leave the barrel until they reach target, mroe so than with real firearms, so the best tactic is to just move fast out of the position.

Bounding backwards is great when you have a team supporting you, but when you are on your own, the only time you should stop is once they have stopped firing or you are in the clear, find a decent tree or bit of cover, re-evaluate the situation and decide your next move from there. You'll notice that very few airsofters can hit a moving target, those that do are normally revered as gods. I can guarentee that at least 80% of the time, waiting for a lul and making a huge move out of the area is the quickest way to break contact and get out of being pinned.

Also, avoid prone position in anything but a prepared defense. It's a guarenteed way to get yourself into a sticky situation as it hampers your mobility. If the cover you are behind is too short for you to kneel behind and have adequate cover, then it's NOT cover. In a game like airsoft, where 90% of firefights happen "statically" any movement is going to upset the balance of the game. When used properly, bounding forward with teammates when under supressing fire yourselves is a great way to upset the flow of the battle, a few guys take off diagnally torwards the enemy while a few shoot, then the next group does the same, so on and so forth. All you need to really do is get folks to move out of the area long enough to get a group flanking. Working corners and angles to get other angles on enemies is exactly how I destroy people at the local fields.

And for those rare instances when YOU have someone pinned and they decide to move out of the area, the best bet for you to getting them out is to pick a point that intercepts their line of travel and dump rounds on it until they cross. Almost always a guarenteed kill :)

When you drop smoke on your own position you invite the guys attacking you to advance. Cant imagine the effectiveness of that 'tactic' versus a competent group.

You use smoke grenades for 'marking' and when assaulting(to conceal your advance). Dropping smoke on yourself is giving the opfor a freebie.

You've never run across the idea of defensive smoke? It is generally used on the attack, true, but that's certainly not the only appropriate use. Dropping it on yourself is probably a bad idea, yes... so don't drop it on yourself!

If you're in a bad position with no escape, anything you can do to change the situation is an improvement. That includes altering the enemy's perception of the battlefield.

It's a guarenteed way to get yourself into a sticky situation as it hampers your mobility. If the cover you are behind is too short for you to kneel behind and have adequate cover, then it's NOT cover. In a game like airsoft, where 90% of firefights happen "statically" any movement is going to upset the balance of the game.

What a novel concept, fire and maneuver.

Been said before but I'll reiterate: Plan your movements and positioning more carefully. Always make sure you have several ways out (it's always good to have a backup route in case one route is cut off). I used to get pinned all the time when I first started out, but I now always check for an escape route before moving into a position. It's helped me numerous times. A few seconds of planning can prevent a few minutes of walking back to the regen area.

I don't use smoke myself, but I have had someone else use it to cover our retreat. Worked well, but just make sure it's not too close to you. The smoke grenade was thrown about 3/4 of the way toward the enemy position.

Also, UrPeaceKeeper makes a good point about going prone. I know I still usually drop flat when I get to a position and it does get me in trouble sometimes as I can't get up and moving fast enough when the manure hits the windmill.

One thing you can use smoke for is to cover yourself. Drop a smoke a couple meters upwind and run back like moving away from the enemies, but stay inside the smoke. You now have a brilliant way to get the drop on anyone trying to follow you. They wont know you stayed behind.

Archived