Guangzhou games have long and behold...

Frontiers

with Guangzhou residents anywhere near the river if refuse to leave homes during games they will be living with a police man during the games to make sure nothing goes wrong lol, how pathetic is this...

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_guangzhou-security-tightens-ahead-of-opening-ceremony_1465508

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/picturegalleries/8129236/Spectacular-opening-ceremony-of-the-Asian-Games-2010-in-Guangzhou-China.html

It was a ceremony that surpassed everything that has been performed in all the Olympics including the Beijing Games

http://www.hindu.com/2010/11/13/stories/2010111355851500.htm

now you know why they take this so fricking seriously, Beijing games was not so bad for airsoft as these have been because the route to Hong Kong is from very near Guangzhou where games are held, too close vicinity for airsoft business why its extremely dangerous for any toygun factories and why they are shut for the moment, because they dont want to take any chances to get big trouble because of these "face" games. China so looove to get international "recognition" that it has to show off with these idiotic games, they just revealed to general public last week that the games cost "just" 16 Billion USD to make and many believe they are lying cost even more but keep the figures low so people dont go nuts, and believe me they didn't like it :P general public in internet and on newspaper very angry why they did not tell us they will waste so much money on one time games haha. I wish that would help something but most likely won't. Hope i posted this in right place but if not, please help me to move this mods. Just had to rant this out, so bloody tired of these troubles here it makes everyone's living like a small hell in here.

I'm not a Chinese citizen but my mother says that's "just how things work" in China, you can't change it.

As well from my geographical studies it's messed up. With farmers getting pieces of paper "guaranteeing" money for their land or w/e that aren't even worth the paper they're written on, blatantly corrupt government agencies and blatant nepotism. Not to mention the conditions of the homeless, apparently they have to buy the cheapest of cheap "industrial grade" fat to eat (and that's supposed to be a "good meal" for them), that's not healthy at all, not to mention how some people make money by dipping PCB's in chemicals to extract meagre amounts of precious metals.

It's a messed up country and the only thing I can say is that I'm glad my grandparents emigrated to give their future generations such living standards that I'm accustomed to.

Speaking as someone working on it, the ceremony was quite cool. As for money, well they specked 30 Megawatt for the ceremony so we had 28 1250kva Generators, they only drew 3.7 Megawatt.

As for the security it is the most incompetent disaster I have ever seen.

Can't wait to get to Hong Kong on my way home.

I'm not a Chinese citizen but my mother says that's "just how things work" in China, you can't change it.

As well from my geographical studies it's messed up. With farmers getting pieces of paper "guaranteeing" money for their land or w/e that aren't even worth the paper they're written on, blatantly corrupt government agencies and blatant nepotism. Not to mention the conditions of the homeless, apparently they have to buy the cheapest of cheap "industrial grade" fat to eat (and that's supposed to be a "good meal" for them), that's not healthy at all, not to mention how some people make money by dipping PCB's in chemicals to extract meagre amounts of precious metals.

It's a messed up country and the only thing I can say is that I'm glad my grandparents emigrated to give their future generations such living standards that I'm accustomed to.

I was at two rural areas and a few cities in China last year and have seen none of these things that you speak of.

Corrupt goverment officials, yes(working on this problem right now); agencies, no.

The country is glad that your grandparents emigrated...there are enough people already and it definitely has no need for people like you who use the smallest problems to sully its reputation.

Dipping PCB in chemicals is old, re-using cooking oil from sewers(a much bigger health risk due to it being a widespread practice) is the new thing to make money. lol

-----------------------------

As for the news... India is exaggerating as usual... trying to be the Asia dominating power has never been so difficult for them. :D

Hey, no need to personally attack me. These are things that I have STUDIED about not witnessed first hand. Are you going to call me some elitist scholarly rich boy now?

I was really just saying that overpopulation is a problem too. Not attacking anyone.

I said nothing of that kind.

Also, people tend to become misguided when searching for information especially over internet... Western media reports all the bad and not alot of the good things of Eastern bloc nations... That really made every country seem so much worse than they really are.

Back when I lived in China all I hear is "American gangsta shoots you. *pew pew*" and stuff along that line...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thats pretty funny..

My family back in Vietnam says the same thing... they wonder how we can live when people are constantly shooting each other in the streets..

See that's why I'm so fit... If you aren't fit and can run fast then you'll get hit by bullets in the crossfire. That's in my daily exercise routine, to dodge bullets being fired between gangsters.

PS: I never considered things going the other way (that the stereotype of North America could be that it's full of gangsters that shoot each other all the time). adadqgg, I think you're right....

Archived